Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Calling them after a callback?  (Read 1512 times)

superman10

• View Profile
Calling them after a callback?
« on: August 15, 2007, 11:28:50 PM »
So I had a callback a few days ago. I noticed that all the people I met with were very nice and it was almost too easy. I felt almost helpless, wishing they'd ask me some of the harder questions.

In any case, a few of them said to call them if I had any questions. The associate who met me, showed me around, and took me to lunch asked if I had any questions, and also said I could call if needed anything.

I found this to be very nice, but I was wondering if people actually call associates to follow up on anything...I mean, there were a few other things that I could ask, but shouldn't I just wait now for them to get back to me? Or would it be a good idea to actually call them with additional questions or find some other reason to get back in touch with them?

Do they actually expect you to call? Iím very interested in this firm (itís my top choice) and I would hate to lose an offer because I didnít show continued interest.

Or should the thank you letters be enough?

tyia....

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Calling them after a callback?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 01:14:00 AM »
i dunno how appropriate the phone call is but you're gonna wanna send out those thank you letters immediately (the same day as the callback if possible).  You'll be getting an offer or rejection within a week so you want them to read your thank you card/letter ASAP. 

Good luck to you... hopefully you'll get hired and your job search will be over even before school starts  :D
testing testing 1 2 3

superman10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 01:19:04 AM »
Thank you! (that was a pretty quick thank you too)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 09:26:25 AM »
If you got a call back, there's some real interest in hiring you.  A callback is twofold - they get to know you a little more, but it's also important for you to try to figure out if they're a good fit for you.  If you have questions (aside from "why was my interview so easy?" of course), go ahead and call or email someone you interviewed or spent time with.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 10:06:36 AM »
Do you only send thank you's after call backs or should you mail or e-mail a thank you after a screening interview as well?

Also, is e-mail appropriate or is it recommended to stick to snail mail?

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 12:06:59 PM »
Do you only send thank you's after call backs or should you mail or e-mail a thank you after a screening interview as well?

thank you letters after callbacks are pretty much required.  i heard that thank you letters after a screening is optional unless there is some dude you really really enjoyed meeting with in which case it can't hurt to send one.

I hear conflicting stories but some career planning offices discourage e-mail thank yous.  you should probably stick to snail mail.
testing testing 1 2 3

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 03:51:41 PM »

thank you letters after callbacks are pretty much required.  i heard that thank you letters after a screening is optional unless there is some dude you really really enjoyed meeting with in which case it can't help to send one.

I hear conflicting stories but some career planning offices discourage e-mail thank yous.  you should probably stick to snail mail.

Ok, but no need for a thank you for the screening interview then right?

If you get call-backs do you send a thank you to every partner you met?

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 12:27:12 AM »

thank you letters after callbacks are pretty much required.  i heard that thank you letters after a screening is optional unless there is some dude you really really enjoyed meeting with in which case it can't help to send one.

Ok, but no need for a thank you for the screening interview then right?

If you get call-backs do you send a thank you to every partner you met?

you send a thank you letter to every partner and associate you meet with.  in my experience half of my interviewers were partners and half were associates.  oh and make sure that thank you letter and envelope is in that nice resume expensive paper.  and i cannot stress enough that these letters need to be sent out IMMEDIATELY because it takes a few days for the mail to arrive there and you'll receive your decision within a week. 

also this is common sense but make damn sure that you proofread the hell out of those thank you letters.  if you accidentally call someone mr. instead of ms. or accidentally put the wrong thank you letter in the wrong envelope, you may lose an offer right there. 
testing testing 1 2 3