Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Doing 100% of law school work/reading in the library?  (Read 2028 times)

GuysRea

• View Profile
Re: Doing 100% of law school work/reading in the library?
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 06:11:34 PM »
Is it really true that I am going to have no free time to ever go out on the weekends or is that an exxageration? I plan to wake up maybe 8 or 9 on Saturday and work straight through till 4-5, then go out at night. How feasable does this sound? (Pretty off topic but whatever)

Extremely feasible. My weekends were relatively easy-going until the midpoint of the semester when I ramped up my work on my legal writing assignments. Depending on what you plan on doing during the week, you may be able to do all your reading for class during the week and save your (autumn) weekends for outlining, writing, reviewing your notes or most importantly, football. Those tasks should be easily accomplished between the hours of 8-4 or 9-5.

To the OP, I did 95% of my law school work in the library for the same reasons you mentioned. The only things I did at home were study for finals at the end of the semester and work on my legal writing on the weekends. I lived 30 miles from my law school, so it did not make sense to go down there unless I had class. You will be fine. The key is to find an environment where you can focus and to get into a study routine that works for you.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 06:38:26 PM »
So i picked up a good habit I guess in college of going to the library whenever I had any work to do (not essays, did these at home).  I didn't do readings in college, but I would go to the library no matter what to study when i had an exam. My classes start Monday, and I was planning on doing 100% of any law related work in the library, and never any at home. I guess this early in the semester, it would include doing the daily course readings and maybe trying to forumulate a rough idea of my outlines? My reasons for this would be when I am home I feel relaxed and not stressed because my home is not associated with work or working. And then I could just give it my complete all at the library with my readings and stay focused. I live walking distance from the law library as I live on campus.

So what I am asking is, is it unrealistic to expect that I can go to the law library every single day, whenver I have even 1 page of legal reading to do? I have to read 18 pages for a class Friday and I plan on walking to the library and doing that reading there. Do you think it is stupid for me to plan on not doing any work at all in my home and all of it regardless of what it is, in the library? I also want to know if anyone has done this (literally NEVER doing any law related work at home at all) and how it has worked for them.

you can start and end your reading assignments right after class and leave the library by dinner time and enjoy the rest of your night.  i noticed that whenever i left the law school after classes i was too lazy to go back to finish my work so i made it a habit of finishing whatever i needed to before leaving. 
testing testing 1 2 3

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 10:01:15 PM »
I always do all my work except reading the casebooks in the library (outlining, exam prep, writing papers).  I do my daily casebook readings from home.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 06:19:49 AM »
The only thing is you need a backup plan with law school libraries.  Law libraries tend to be notorious for stressing people out around finals.  Things happen like, someone asks you a question about something.  You explain half of it.  They are freaking out because it seems like you know everything.  You are freaking out because you realize you only know half of a subject.  A lot of people find it impossible to study at the library during finals.

If that happens to you, you need to know of a place you can go, like the undergrad library, a fairly quiet coffee shop, etc.  Or you have to bite the bullet and work at home.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 09:52:34 AM »
The undergrad library is usually a good bet.  There are many more undiscovered nooks and corners that are out of the way and may assure you some quiet.

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 11:06:40 AM »
i only seem to work efficiently in the library when i have my earplugs, and i am hidden from my classmates who have a tendency to chat too much!

LVP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 09:37:46 PM »
I think if it's a habit you've gotten into in undergrad, it's probably doable in law school.

The biggest thing I would say to anyone is DO NOT stick with anything that doesn't work.  If you try the exclusive library plan, and find yourself miserable, or behind, or both, try something else sooner rather than later.  I've known people who have stuck to their plan or routine too long, because they were comfortable with it, even though they knew it wasn't working, and they suffered for it (gradewise).  I've also known people who were able to change up their routine as soon as they realized it wasn't working, and they did well because of it.

If I recall correctly, I originally planned to do almost no studying in the library, but I quickly found that it worked better for me to do almost all my studying there.  Be flexible!
Pizza is the reward, death is the risk.

#

njlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 11:26:18 PM »
Whatever works for you is fine. I did nearly all my reading at the library for the same reasons. I also did next to nothing on the weekends. Don't go to school telling yourself you have to work from 9-4 on the weekend. Wake up Saturday and ask yourself if you're behind. If not, don't convince yourself you are.

LBJFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 02:12:56 PM »
Everyone has given you some very good advice...

I agree with the undergrad library option. My school had so many libraries I would just roam around to them sometimes and pick a spot. This worked for me because...unlike undergrad...I knew roughly 65% of the people I saw in the law library and that encourages whispering and giggling and leaving to go out in the hall and chat at full volume etc. In other words...distractions. Sure you can find somewhere to hide but, at least at my school, all the good hiding spots were taken by the 2 and 3Ls.

Additionally, unlike undergrad for the most part, you are competing with these same people you see in the library for the best grades so its a lot easier to want to notice that they're still there when you're leaving, or that they are studying in groups or making flashcards or whatever. Some people feel an irresistible urge to do what the next guy is doing just so they can feel like they're keeping pace and this is just bad business. So, if you can do the library study and avoid all the common pitfalls, I'd say go for it.

I also agree with ... dont stick with it if it turns out not to work for you. I switched to 100% home study by my third year mostly because I no longer had a roommate but also because my study habits had changed due to the change in the type of material I was reading by 3rd year.