Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Doing 100% of law school work/reading in the library?  (Read 1998 times)

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Doing 100% of law school work/reading in the library?
« on: August 15, 2007, 03:11:41 PM »
So i picked up a good habit I guess in college of going to the library whenever I had any work to do (not essays, did these at home).  I didn't do readings in college, but I would go to the library no matter what to study when i had an exam. My classes start Monday, and I was planning on doing 100% of any law related work in the library, and never any at home. I guess this early in the semester, it would include doing the daily course readings and maybe trying to forumulate a rough idea of my outlines? My reasons for this would be when I am home I feel relaxed and not stressed because my home is not associated with work or working. And then I could just give it my complete all at the library with my readings and stay focused. I live walking distance from the law library as I live on campus.

So what I am asking is, is it unrealistic to expect that I can go to the law library every single day, whenver I have even 1 page of legal reading to do? I have to read 18 pages for a class Friday and I plan on walking to the library and doing that reading there. Do you think it is stupid for me to plan on not doing any work at all in my home and all of it regardless of what it is, in the library? I also want to know if anyone has done this (literally NEVER doing any law related work at home at all) and how it has worked for them.

jsh26

• View Profile
Re: Doing 100% of law school work/reading in the library?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 03:20:07 PM »
You'll soon realize that law reading is not like any other type of reading you have ever done before. Just one of the ways that it is different is that it takes much, much longer to work your way through the material than you are used to -- especially at the beginning, when you don't know what is and is not important within the text. 10 minutes a page is about right, probably longer at first as you struggle to make sense of it all.

Long story short: that 18-page assignment will take you roughly three hours to complete. Multiply that amount of time by your assignments for other classes and realize that your plan will have you spending an awful, awful lot of time in the library.

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 03:30:10 PM »
You'll soon realize that law reading is not like any other type of reading you have ever done before. Just one of the ways that it is different is that it takes much, much longer to work your way through the material than you are used to -- especially at the beginning, when you don't know what is and is not important within the text. 10 minutes a page is about right, probably longer at first as you struggle to make sense of it all.

Long story short: that 18-page assignment will take you roughly three hours to complete. Multiply that amount of time by your assignments for other classes and realize that your plan will have you spending an awful, awful lot of time in the library.

well this one in particular doesn't seem that bad. It's not in a case book, but a normal book that describes how to write and analyze when dealing with legal material. I just have this thing with me that when I am in my house, I am too distracted and I do the work just to finish it. When I am at a library, I feel "trapped" there and get alot more engaged into my work. I don't think I'd have a problem spending hours and hours in the library each day, I find sitting in a library kind of relaxing. I just keep remembering to myself that I am here because I love the subject of law and want nothing more than to learn about it.

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 03:34:27 PM »
I think you answered your own question. You really shouldn't need permission to go to the library - if that's what you want to do, just go do it.

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 03:40:41 PM »
I think you answered your own question. You really shouldn't need permission to go to the library - if that's what you want to do, just go do it.

well the main purpose of this was I was just curious to see if anyone else had taken this approach to law school starting out?

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 03:43:51 PM »
Seriously, do all of your studying in a brothel if it helps you get your work done.

Personally, I find that I have to move from place to place all the time to stay focussed. 

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 03:45:15 PM »
Is it really true that I am going to have no free time to ever go out on the weekends or is that an exxageration? I plan to wake up maybe 8 or 9 on Saturday and work straight through till 4-5, then go out at night. How feasable does this sound? (Pretty off topic but whatever)

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 03:56:38 PM »
Not only feasible, but essential.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 04:11:01 PM »
I couldn't work like this, personally.  I have an office/study set up in my house (and did the same when I lived in an apartment).  I would rather be at home so I can get a snack or some coffee when I need to without worrying about packing my stuff up or whether the librarian will spot my coffee that's not in a travel mug.

I know people who were the opposite, and did more work at the library instead of home, but I don't think I know anyone that worked 100% exclusively from one or the other.

kasper11

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 05:12:42 PM »
I worked 100% from home. I have been in the library all of 3 times.

But....this is how I work best. I like the comfort, it helps me to work. I can get work done easily while laying in bed or on the couch...in fact, that is how I took my take-home exams.

Other people are different.

Honestly, no matter what has worked for other people you are different. Start off by doing work in the library if that is how you think you will be most comfortable. Then you can change if need be.

The best thing that you can do right now is just relax and do the work how it comes naturally. If something isn't working, you have plenty of time before finals to adjust.
GPA: 2.15 (3.29 after 3 years off and transferring)
LSAT: 175