Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lunch with a Neighbor  (Read 1313 times)

yupster567

• View Profile
Lunch with a Neighbor
« on: August 13, 2007, 02:19:44 PM »
Ok, so a long time neighbor of mine works at a large law firm and asked me to send him my application materials.  This Friday he has asked me to come to the office to have lunch with him.  He told me that he would also give me a tour of the office.  Is this guy just being friendly, or should I think of this as an interview?

dandlewood

• AOL Instant Messenger - bmojob
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lunch with a Neighbor
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 03:24:22 PM »
If your grades are decent and he knows you as a stand up character, I would consider it an interview.  This is pretty much the way the world works, I.E. doors open easier to those who have an inside connection.

What year are you?
Made: St Thomas, Florida Coastal
Kiss of Death:Miami, American, Rutgers, Villanova
Paying back the Loan Shark:
Pending: Nova, Widener, Temple, Florida State, Howard, Drexel, Dusquesne, Penn State

yupster567

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 03:27:17 PM »
I will be a 2L.  I am in the top third of my class; on secondary law journal; great summer law job this summer (40 attorney firm). 

dandlewood

• AOL Instant Messenger - bmojob
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 04:59:21 PM »
yeah, definitely consider it an interview.  If someone thinks your a standup guy/gal and has seen you growing up into a hard worker, they'll be inclined to help you out.  It makes them look good to bring talent in and in general, people like to do nice things for people they know.  Just don't go wearing shorts or a t-shirt.  ;)
Made: St Thomas, Florida Coastal
Kiss of Death:Miami, American, Rutgers, Villanova
Paying back the Loan Shark:
Pending: Nova, Widener, Temple, Florida State, Howard, Drexel, Dusquesne, Penn State

BeachBum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 06:42:26 PM »
This is definitely an "interview" and it is the best kind of interview you can get.  I know a couple of people whose invitation for "lunch" resulted in an invitation to be a summer associate.  At a minimum, dress business casual, but you should wear at least a dress shirt and tie, (you can remove the tie if your neighbor is dressed casually).  Make sure you have extra copies of your resume (you can keep them in the car) just in case some of the people you are introduced to request it. 
3.7ish, 170+

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 06:59:07 PM »

If he's just being a nice neighbor to show you around and give you some advice and you treat it like an interview and all dressed uu, it might become a very weird situation.

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 07:09:35 PM »
i am almost inclined to recommend nice jeans with a nice polo shirt. if the guy tells some friends that he is showing a talented guy around the office and u show up in a suit and tie i think that would be a little weird. Congrats on the lunch though. I have a feeling its going to work out well for u.
Attending: OU

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 07:12:36 PM »
Wear business attire, assuming that's what he'll be wearing.  Is it an interview?  Probably not, unless he's on the hiring committee.

yupster567

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
well, his email said..."no need for suit and tie.  I sure won't be wearing one.  We are casual on Fridays"

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 08:43:56 PM »
Slacks and a button-down shirt, then.