Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Job Fair--A good thing to try?  (Read 889 times)

rosevv

• View Profile
    • Email
Job Fair--A good thing to try?
« on: August 12, 2007, 12:27:42 AM »
I am wondering whether there is someone out there who knows about job fair? How good it is? Does it really help? Thank you guys!

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Job Fair--A good thing to try?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:38:11 AM »
the difficult thing about job fairs is that there are generally A LOT of students present from many different law schools.  it can sometimes get overwhelming and you may get anywhere from 6-12 screening interviews in one day.  there is also a chance that you may get back to back interviews so you may need to leave certain interviews early and arrive to your next interview late. 

I think OCI may be preferable to job fairs only because you don't have to worry about having so many screening interviews at once and the interview site is much more familiar and comfortable for you. 

However, you should always try out job fairs because if gives you great interviewing experience.  From my experience job fairs seem to take place earlier than OCI so you have an opportunity to test out your answers and to get a feel for the sort of questions that interviewers ask. 
testing testing 1 2 3

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 10:03:34 PM »
I went to a job fair recently and it was pretty similar to OCI, just in a hotel instead

txlawstu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 04:32:02 PM »
I asked my career services assistant dean if I should interview with a certain employer at the job fair or wait for OCI.  He said waiting for OCI was fine, but I would be risking that the employer decides to add conditions to interview that would exclude me from an interview at OCI.  I only asked because I didn't want to drive to the job fair if I could just interview at school.  He was of the impression that it doesn't matter either way, you just risk the different conditions to interview.

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 07:49:45 PM »
I found I had a lot more success getting callbacks at a recent job fair than at OCI.  I'm not sure why though...

20 OCI interviews: 2 callbacks
5 job fair interviews: 3 callbacks

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 02:45:22 PM »
Job Fairs will attract different students than OCIs.  For example, I go to UT.  The top 10% (maybe more) of the class should have very little problem getting some top job they want through OCI.  Those people have little reason to do job fairs unless it is targetting some specific practice or a specific location so they might not otherwise meet those employers (in our case, UT people might want to see a bunch of Chicago or New York firms, and think not enough come to OCI).  Generally, though, you'll probably not be competing against the very top students at a job fair.

Job Fairs will also have people from different schools.  So if you are at the only top 50 school within 4 hours, but there are 4 schools in the 100's nearby, you will probably have better success rates at the job fair compared to OCI.

p0six

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 03:08:10 PM »
The job fairs that I went to were really helpful for several reasons:
1.  If you have a specific job fair for a region or practice (i.e. Loyola patent fair or Regional job fair) it's good so that you can talk to the people that in that area.
2.  Although it's a bit late now, I did two job fairs pretty early in the cycle and my callbacks came relatively quickly.  Therefore, I was able to schedule my callbacks relatively early and I will be done with callbacks before school starts.  I won't have to worry about callbacks during the semester and can focus on other things (like work).

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 08:47:12 AM »
I got my last job from a job fair with G-town and my school.  It was a public interest/government job fair.  It was the only offer I received, but I was a one L at the time, so whatever.  I know a lot of my friends have had luck through the  IP job fair in Chicago?  My opinion is that it never hurts to try,  Even if you apply at the same firms as you do for OCI, if you didnt stand out as good enough to interview at the job fair, i doubt they will remember you applied during OCI.