Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is facial hair really a taboo for OCI?  (Read 2741 times)

YeShallBeGods

• View Profile
Is facial hair really a taboo for OCI?
« on: August 11, 2007, 12:54:32 PM »
I have a very small amount of facial hair, but am very fond of it--it genuinely makes me look a few years older, which is a good thing considering I'm an under age law student.

Thoughts?

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is facial hair really a taboo for OCI?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 01:58:24 PM »
If it's a soul patch, get rid of it. However, I say keep it if you have a sweet pencil-thin mustache. Then again, if it's a Hitler mustache, get rid of it. These are the only three facial hair possibilities I could come up with that involve a "very small amount of facial hair."

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 10:12:24 AM »

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 12:21:42 PM »
Shave.

Some people will score you lower in interviews due to the facial hair.  They may think your particular style looks ugly, scruffy, etc.  It may also just be a sub-conscious idea that peoplw with facial hair are hiding something and less honest.

Very few people (if any at all) will score you lower for having a clean-shaven face.  So play the odds.

Since you describe it as a small amount, it probably won't take long to grow back once interviews are done.  You might be able to keep it over the summer job, as people won't be judging you based purely on a 30 minute slice of time.

rider06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 11:53:06 AM »
In the eastern world, men who shave because their wives/girlfriends told them to are not considered men.

I'd rather keep my dignity than work for some firm that bases its hiring decisions on whether or not I have a goatee.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 12:17:05 PM »
I think if it is neatly trimmed you should be fine.

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 03:16:35 AM »
I just got a call back even though I have a full beard. However, I'm thinking of shaving it before I go for the call back interview.

Ad oculos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 07:45:47 PM »
Shave.  It doesn't look professional.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 11:34:59 PM »
I think a lot of it depends on whether you are a girl of guy.  If you are a girl, id wax your mustache, if you are a guy, id shave it.

I think if its only a little hair, it wont take you much time to grow it back.  Think of how many people really want the positions you are interviewing for and make every effort to do your best.

uart

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 06:52:48 PM »
What about sideburns? Do those technically count as facial hair? Do I need to kill them off? I've had them for about 5 years now, and I'm pretty attached to them.