Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OCI lottery  (Read 3421 times)

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
OCI lottery
« on: August 09, 2007, 11:48:15 AM »
so im confused as to how an OCI lottery really works.  my school does not explain what it is too well and im under the impression right now that for the initial interview the firm has no say on who it interviews.  but this strikes me as pretty incredulous.  if this is the case, is there still a screening interview AFTER this intitial "lottery" interview. 

anyone else have a school who does it like that and care to explain? i apologize for sounding ignorant.

2L

• View Profile
Re: OCI lottery
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 12:29:24 PM »
so im confused as to how an OCI lottery really works.  my school does not explain what it too well and im under the impression right now that for the initia interview the firm has no say on who it interviews.  but this strikes me as pretty incredulous.  if this is the case, is there still a screening interview AFTER this intitial "lottery" interview. 

anyone else have a school who does it like that and care to explain? i apologize for sounding ignorant.

Hard to answer specifically without knowing your school, but your situation sounds similar to a friend of mine who attends one of the T14. The students pick/rank the firms they want interviews with and then the career services gives the firms the list of students they will be interviewing. At UPenn your not even allowed to put your class rank or GPA on the resume anyway, so it's not like you would get screened that way. That being said --- the firm's first opportunity to screen will take place during the EIW blitzkrieg of interviews.

k2217

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 12:35:37 PM »
With a lottery OCI, technically yes, a poor student could get an interview with a top firm, and the top student might not get one.  

So where do grades, etc. come into play?  On the callbacks.  Anyone can get their foot in the door for that initial interview...the school's trying to make it an even playing field (hoping maybe a poor student can impress with non-grade attributes, so that the firm may not even care once it sees the students grades).  

But after that initial interview, that's when recruiters will take a look at your transcript.  And likely offer callbacks only to those who interviewed well AND have the "appropriate" grades, etc.

Having said that, if you aren't selected in the lottery for a firm you really want to interview with, then talk to your counselor about options...whether just signing some kinda waitlist on the interview and camping outside the door or mailing your info to that firm outside of OCI.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 12:52:42 PM »
Considering this, would those who get interviews at schools that DO allow prescreening have a better shot at getting a callback because the firm will have already looked at GPA/RANK?

wakaranai

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 01:05:31 PM »
Considering this, would those who get interviews at schools that DO allow prescreening have a better shot at getting a callback because the firm will have already looked at GPA/RANK?

I think it's more a function of how many students the firm wants to hire from that school and how many people are interviewing. If the firm plans to hire 1 student from that school, it's not going to matter whether they've been prescreened or selected by lottery. If anything, being stuck in a prescreened interview with 15 other students who are also in the top 20% is probably more competitive than going to a lottery interview with the same rank because there may not be any other students ranked as high as you.

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 11:00:12 AM »
wow, this lottery system is TERRIBLE.  it completly limits your ability to chose a firm you want to interview with and prevents top students from getting all the interviews they deserve.  While it may help lower raked students if firms still have strict GPA cut off those students will get cut anyway!!

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 11:08:14 AM »
wow, this lottery system is TERRIBLE.  it completly limits your ability to chose a firm you want to interview with and prevents top students from getting all the interviews they deserve.  While it may help lower raked students if firms still have strict GPA cut off those students will get cut anyway!!

Yeah, I can imagine it would be frustrating. Although I'm in the position where I wish my school actually didn't do prescreening.   If firms are considering factors other than GPA and not adhereing to a strict cutoff then the lottery is great. However, if in reality they wouldn't give someone with a certain GPA a job  then why should they even bother interviewing them.   Hell, they shouldn't be wasting the student's time either.

GinoJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 03:11:53 PM »

so im confused as to how an OCI lottery really works. my school does not explain what it is too well and im under the impression right now that for the initial interview the firm has no say on who it interviews.  but this strikes me as pretty incredulous.  if this is the case, is there still a screening interview AFTER this intitial "lottery" interview. 

I would guess so..

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 10:15:16 AM »
so im confused as to how an OCI lottery really works.  my school does not explain what it is too well and im under the impression right now that for the initial interview the firm has no say on who it interviews.  but this strikes me as pretty incredulous.  if this is the case, is there still a screening interview AFTER this intitial "lottery" interview. 

1) The only thing that makes you sound ignorant is your misuse of the word "incredulous."  Irregardless of its listing as a synonym of "incredible" in the dictionary, it's there literally only because of its ubiquitous bastardization.

2) Lottery systems mystify me--not how they work, but whether they work to help students get jobs.  Maybe some students end up absolutely amazing their interviewers, defying grade cutoffs, and getting jobs they wouldn't have sniffed in a pre-screening system.  But I've heard anecdotes of students in lottery systems only applying for firms they have no realistic shot of working for, and ending up with no offers, when a pre-screening system would have encouraged casting a wider net and increased the person's chances of getting an offer.

A school needs to look out for its entire student body, not just those with superior raking abilities.  If you're a top student, the lottery system only keeps you from taking up interview spots with firms that you wouldn't end up working for anyway.  And I think almost any firm will bend its GPA cutoff for the right candidate.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 11:13:40 AM »

1) The only thing that makes you sound ignorant is your misuse of the word "incredulous."  Irregardless of its listing as a synonym of "incredible" in the dictionary, it's there literally only because of its ubiquitous bastardization.

And the only thing that makes you sound ignorant is your use of an illogical word, "irregardless."   

:P  Sorry, I couldn't help myself...I hate that word.