Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is getting no-offered the end of the world?  (Read 2252 times)

ngdo2007

• View Profile
Is getting no-offered the end of the world?
« on: August 08, 2007, 10:19:37 PM »
I had one bad review out of 11 until I got one today that was also bad- and pretty shocking since I was told to my face I did a great job.  Talked to a couple of associates who said I should be concerned about being no-offered.  While I know this would be the end of the line as far as working for a big firm goes, I'm hoping that government employers will be less critical since that's what I want to do anyway.  how should I spin this?  Thanks.

2L

• View Profile
Re: Is getting no-offered the end of the world?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 12:34:43 PM »
I'm guessing from what you wrote that you worked at large firm and you did not get an offer at the end. This causes a snag during OCI because employer ask what you did for the summer and if you say you didn't get an offer you have to explain. What will go through the back of their mind (per family friend attorney) is that they only get 20minutes tops to see if you would be a good fit but another firm had you for 10-12 weeks and decided against it.

I think because you are going towards government that you will be just fine without having the firm offer. During the interview I would tell them: while I did not receive an offer at the end of the summer associate program, it was apparent that I was planning on pursuing a career in government. As can be gathered from all of my reviews, the fact that an offer wasn't extended was not a reflection of my work product but moreso due to an understanding that my future aspirations weren't aligned with the firm.

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 12:51:50 AM »
Did you get a non-offer or a soft offer? If it was a soft offer, you are allowed to tell other firms that you received an offer, but decided not to take it.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 04:03:47 AM »
I had one bad review out of 11 until I got one today that was also bad- and pretty shocking since I was told to my face I did a great job.  Talked to a couple of associates who said I should be concerned about being no-offered.  While I know this would be the end of the line as far as working for a big firm goes, I'm hoping that government employers will be less critical since that's what I want to do anyway.  how should I spin this?  Thanks.

If you don't mind my asking, do you know why you got two bad reviews?  Did you make a big mistake somewhere or did they just not get along with you? 

Hope everything works out for you
testing testing 1 2 3

ngdo2007

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 09:44:40 PM »
no "big mistake".  9 or 10 Outstanding reviews, one "good" (just middle of  the road- ordinary) and one which said "good" but ripped me in the narrative.  Interestingly, the review said the final product I delivered was "Well done" but the draft was poor- I had been told the associates would not be reviewing me on ANYTHING, even the final product.  Also they told me they would walk me through the project step by step.  Instead I did a draft, met with them for 30 minutes to get their comments and rewrite, then turned in the final product a couple of days later.  I don't think this review should have been enough to get no-offered so I'm wondering if  they just don't think I'm a good fit (perhaps in part because I missed a good number of social events).  I have not yet talked with the hiring partner to find out if I can say I got an offer (i.e. a cold offer).  We'll see.  That's really all I want now as I would  hate to work for somebody who doesn't want me.

GA-fan

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 10:27:25 PM »
someone at my firm got no-offered. the person likewise didnt make any major mistakes but was just not very nice to anyone. I think this year firms notice the change in the economy and are being more selective with offers. I know it's hard, but I'd try not to take it personally and just do the best you can from here on out.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 11:33:36 PM »
I'm wondering if  they just don't think I'm a good fit (perhaps in part because I missed a good number of social events).

I might not know what I'm talking about because I'm just starting my 2L summer internship search, but I thought the social events were pretty important. Isn't that where they get to know you and see how you get along with your future coworkers (even if you will be doing very little socializing with your coworkers when you're actually working)?

ngdo2007

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 01:53:11 AM »
someone at my firm got no-offered. the person likewise didnt make any major mistakes but was just not very nice to anyone. I think this year firms notice the change in the economy and are being more selective with offers. I know it's hard, but I'd try not to take it personally and just do the best you can from here on out.
I was friendly but not as outgoing as i could have been i guess. did the person in your class get a cold/soft offer?

GA-fan

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 07:00:13 AM »
I was friendly but not as outgoing as i could have been i guess. did the person in your class get a cold/soft offer?

I'm not sure yet. All the details haven't come out- we just found out that not everyone got an offer, and from there it was pretty easy to dedudce who that person was...

ngdo2007

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 12:24:44 PM »

Cool.  my guess is when I talk to the HR people they'll be willing to talk about a cold offer since 10 of the 12 assignments I had resulted in very good reviews and I got along well with pretty much everyone- can't see what their motivation would be for essentially ruining my career...