Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: sending resumes to firms conducting oci at local law schools.  (Read 980 times)

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
sending resumes to firms conducting oci at local law schools.
« on: August 08, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
Hey all! I'm from the east coast but go to school in the mid west. None of the firms around philadelphia where i'm from do OCI at my school. So i was able to get a list of firms going to law schools in philadelphia that are close to evenly ranked to my school and just emailed a lot of them my resume, coverletter, transcript and writing sample. So far i'v recieved confirmation for about 1/4 of the firms i sent them to. Does this really work?? Is there anything I can do?? I went on the website and they all say that they advocate students for to send in their own resumes who attend other law schools that they don't visit for OCI. Has anyone had any luck doing this?? Thank you
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

Pittlawman

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: sending resumes to firms conducting oci at local law schools.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 01:41:35 PM »
do you have contacts at any of these firms? Have you looked through the list of lawyers at the firms that you are interested in to see if you or a family member knows anyone at these law firsm. Having someone represent you that knows you or a family member can be a great way to get in the door..  See if any of the lawyers have any similar interests in terms of legal areas or other things that they might be interested in so that you can ask them a few questions about.  Often an informational interview, via phone or in person can help establish a relationship that could (it is a reach) help you if they are willing to forward your resume with a good word.

wakaranai

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 03:28:37 PM »
I have one friend who's had reasonable success so far getting callbacks with direct mailings, but he's applying from a mid-T1 in a market that tends to recruit primarily from T2 schools. Most of them also seem to have alumni that went to his school. If you can go to Martindale and see if there are any lawyers from your school in the Philly area, they may be willing to help you.

palaedorian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 04:01:57 AM »
Hey Latin Lord! Long time no see. I hope things are going well with you.
My basic advice (take it or leave it) would be to contact the recruiting coordinator's directly via email or phone call. That way you can ask them what the best way to apply is. They may tell you to mail, email, etc. At least you know you're getting their preferred method that way.  Mass mailing gets expensive quickly and is very tiring so I wouldn't recommend it.