Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer Associate question...  (Read 1109 times)

jumbo11

• View Profile
    • Email
Summer Associate question...
« on: August 08, 2007, 02:04:58 PM »
I worked for a firm before law school as a college intern, and later as a paralegal. I established great relationships with and remain close to many of the firm's attorneys. While ultimately I would consider working for this firm as an attorney if given the opportunity (highly regarded firm, high salary, excellent work environment, interesting practice areas, etc), I have reservations about using the connection to obtain a summer associate position. That is, I'm concerned that having this firm on my resume numerous times sends the wrong message to potential employers. I suppose I might be getting ahead of myself, but I'm not sure what I would do if offered a job by this firm. Thoughts?

SergioCQH

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Associate question...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 08:34:20 PM »
Yeah, longevity at one employer is never a bad thing per se. It shows that you are loyal and constant. It's the people who jump around a lot that look bad to employers.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 02:05:44 PM »
If you're an incoming 1L, definitely use it to try and get a summer associate job after this year.  Working in a firm 1L summer is pure gold when you go to OCI the next summer.  I think a firm or two might consider it a bad thing, but on the whole, it will be a huge plus on your resume.

My only caveat is to make sure that in every step of the process, from getting a 1L summer internship, a 2L summer associate position, full time job, you make sure the firm allows you the time to see if it's right for you.  If the firm pressures you into an answer without encouraging you to apply for other jobs or go through OCI, it sounds like they're looking for cheap labor (cheap because they have to train you less), and don't care about your career.

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 09:34:38 PM »
If you know the people and the dynamics of the firm from your own work experience, it only furthers your case. Of course, I'm assuming you also had a good working relationship/rapport with those people.

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 01:16:07 AM »
Definitely not a bad thing to put on at all....firms want people who are wanted by other firms.  Just be prepared with an explanation as to why you think the firm you're interviewing w/ is probably better, etc.