Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OCI and PT Students  (Read 614 times)

mikeyakay2j

OCI and PT Students
« on: August 08, 2007, 10:50:58 AM »
Hello guys,

I am new to the Students side of the forum, I had a question I will be attending a T2 PT program in a few weeks, I noticed on NALP that a lot of good firms DO NOT take PT students, so if I want to transfer into a full time program after 1 YR of PT work will I be able to do OCI the next year? I'm just very confused by this process, as I heard that I might not have all the prerequisite classes needed to transfer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS - Does anyone know why big firms dont interview PT students? Thanks.

skeletor

• View Profile
Re: OCI and PT Students
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 06:09:23 PM »
Your Career Services office should be able to clear this up for you.  Every firm I know of takes part-time students, but you won't be able to participate as a 2L for OCI until after your second year of part-time studies, whereas full-time students do OCI after just one year.  This is so because 2L summer associate positions occur the summer before you would graduate from law school.

As for the NALP stuff, what the data means is that firms generally won't hire part-time summer associates, not that they won't hire part-time students.  Thus, if you work full-time now and attend school part-time, you would have to quit your job (or take a leave of absence) to summer full-time with a firm.