Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Maneuvering OCI with a 2.97  (Read 2531 times)

2L

• View Profile
Maneuvering OCI with a 2.97
« on: August 08, 2007, 08:45:54 AM »
I attend a T14 school and things started out well enough first semester - 3.24, but second semester I took a dive and my gpa is a 2.97 (3 B-'s and 2 B's). GPA non withstanding my resume is really good, I made moot court, went to an Ivy for undergrad, and I got a NY firm job for my 1L summer (they gave me an offer at the end).

OCI is quickly approaching and I managed to get 18 screening interviews for NYC - mostly the Vault top 20, throwing in Paul Hastings and firms around their ranking slot.

Is there any chance of getting callbacks at the Big Firms like Cravath, Sullivan etc.? How should I go about explaining my grade drop? (Not for lack of studying or cockiness etc.) I have a connection at Weil and Cadwalader but am fearful even they won't be able to help me with a 2.97. Any words of wisdom? Thoughts?

rutherford

• View Profile
Re: Maneuvering OCI with a 2.97
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 09:30:09 AM »
Did OCI prescreen applicants?

GA-fan

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 11:04:29 AM »
You probably don't have a shot with v10 firms. But you probably already know that. unless your uncle is a hiring partner at cravath, that is...

2L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 05:18:01 AM »

I don't think so. We had to put in 75 bids, I did 43 and the top 20 bids you placed would receive your resume. So no screening.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 08:33:24 AM »

I don't think so. We had to put in 75 bids, I did 43 and the top 20 bids you placed would receive your resume. So no screening.

ahhh. The benefits of going to a T14. I only wish that we didnt' have prescreening.

In any event. Do you work at all? If so, perhaps you could just say you were devoting more of your time to that in the Spring.  What about Summer classes? Did you take any to raise your grades?

2L

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 09:58:29 AM »

ahhh. The benefits of going to a T14. I only wish that we didnt' have prescreening.

In any event. Do you work at all? If so, perhaps you could just say you were devoting more of your time to that in the Spring.  What about Summer classes? Did you take any to raise your grades?

No classes or anything. I worked at V50 firm this summer and got an offer from them - Thank God - hopefully they won't ask for an updated transcript. And worked for another firm abroad - which I don't believe gives offers to the US students because of a diff. training system. I didn't have my GPA on my resume when the top firms picked me but we'll see I guess.

I'm not quite sure what I'm hoping for - perhaps the firms with B cut off like P.Hastings will figure a 2.97 is close enough to a 3.0  =/ This whole thing is getting quite traumatic. =)

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 11:13:26 AM »
Although you may be disappointed, you seem to be sitting pretty good compared to the vast majority of students at lower tiered schools.

Hell, my GPA is around a 3.2 and I'm worried I might not get any interviews. :-\

pappy13

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 11:17:05 AM »
Isn't a 2.97 really bad for a T14?  Most T14 schools have a very high median ... generally around 3.2.

Pittlawman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »
If you grades go down, you should have a response ready for an employer to ask why your grades went down.  Trying to hide and not be prepared for such a question is the wrong response.  One response could be that you became active in more activities and then your grades went down slightly, BUT, you have learned from the experience and are currently doing better.  This shows employers that you made a mistake, you recognized it, and you are selling them on the fact that you have started correcting the problem and it will not occur again.