Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Probability of Interview leading to SA Position???  (Read 2952 times)

rutherford

• View Profile
Probability of Interview leading to SA Position???
« on: August 07, 2007, 12:51:50 PM »
I'm just wondering the likelihood of being offered a SA Position if you were granted an interview.  From what I've heard, the screening interview means they like what they see on paper and now just want to see your interpersonal skills.

Is that the case?   Any ideas into how the numbers all work out (i.e. interviews granted v. SA hired)?

middlelanguage

• View Profile
Re: Probability of Interview leading to SA Position???
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 02:58:41 PM »
If you're looking for an average ratio, I would think that 1 out of 4 would be very good. Meaning, for every four interviews you receive one callback. BUT, I know people that had over 15 interviews and didn't receive one call back. I would think if you have around 15 interviews, you should be able to get at least 3-5 callbacks.

LadySheba12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 03:03:53 PM »
what happens if for a job fair you got selected for over the amount of firms that you can interview with on one day.  can you contact them to set up another date to come in for an interview instead of just declining the interview? how can you do this without sounding like their firm wasnt good enough to warrant being one of the interviews you accepted?

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 03:16:29 PM »
25% chance. Wow, that sure doesn't sound to good. I was under the impression if you interview well and are rather personable you would have a better shot.

werls21

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 04:41:13 PM »
Talking with a hiring partner of one of the biggest and most selective firms in Chicago... They usually callback 25% of screening interview.  If you get a callback- they usually about 75% of those callbacks an offer.  About 25% of those who recieve an offer accept.  That is just one firm that takes a bunch of summers but at the same time is very selective.  Good luck to everyone!

wakaranai

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 04:52:53 PM »
It really depends on the school. Some firms intend to take 1-2 people from a school and will do 40 screening interviews. If you're interviewing solely with those firms, you'll be extremely lucky to get a callback 25% of the time.

werls21

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 05:55:42 PM »
To clarify my previous post- the hiring partner was refering to my low t14 rated school... so top 10 school may have a greater percentage while schools lower ranked might have a lower percentage.  Again this all depends on the school AND the firm that is interviewing

GA-fan

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 06:16:10 PM »
I'm also wondering about this- I only bid on 20 firms for OCI and got interviews with almost all of them, but now I'm second-guessing myself based on the stats you suggested.
On an second note, does being over-qualified on paper make it easier to get a callback, or is it that once you're face-to-face with the interviewers, all paper credentials are equalized?

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 09:26:54 PM »
Apparently low bids will sometimes ding you thinking you'll go to higher firms.

GA-fan

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 09:39:44 PM »
Lol, this is where it pays for firms to consider themselves better than they actually are.  :D  I have to admit that I sensed the yield protection coming so I bid very selectively for firms. I only bid on 15 of 60+ firms, and only in the region I really want to work. This was a pretty big gamble, and I'm still waiting to see if it pays off. But I'm pretty sure that if I'd applied to every firm, most of the small ones wouldn't have bothered to give me the time of day.