Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP! What exactly do I need to know about law before I start school?  (Read 2287 times)

IAmMultipleBooks

• View Profile
I'm an entering 1L, and yesterday a fellow entering 1L was shocked because I didn't know how to write a brief. So now I feel quite far behind and a bit uneasy. What do I need to know before I start class? What will I be expected to do without it being taught?

Also, does anyone have a good website that explains a good format for writing case briefs?

I would really appreciate any advice on this. I feel far behind, considering that others have been reading law prep books this entire summer.

Thanks guys.

Non_Prophet

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! What exactly do I need to know about law before I start school?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 10:39:21 AM »
Case briefing --------->  http://lawnerds.com/guide/briefing.html#HowtoBriefaCase

Don't worry about not knowing this already.  Most schools will have you do it at orientation.

GA-fan

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 10:41:57 AM »
First thing: don't listen to anything that another 0L tells you that you should know. That includes people at your school AND the number of 0Ls who will invariably post on this thread to tell you what you should have already read.

YOU DON'T NEED TO "KNOW" ANYTHING TO START LAW SCHOOL. Except knowing how to read, speak, and think critically. The school will teach you the rest. Plan to work hard the first few weeks and watch as the people who prepped before school started lose their "edge" almost immediately.

If anyone at orientation starts to tell you about how much prep they did for school, excuse yourself to the restroom, get a drink, and find someone else to talk to who isn't a gunner.

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 10:50:19 AM »
i was really intimidated at first esp when i talked to ppl that did those pre-law courses.  i really think just RELAXING will do u well. yes, there are many basic things that i wish i knew coming in (mostly procedural stuff that are mentioned in the cases) but you learn them along the way.  plus, that's what blacks law dictionary is for!   

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 11:04:08 AM »
Here's what you need to know:

Patience, persistence, and an ability to take yourself lightly while taking your work seriously will get you through law school in one, mentally healthy piece.

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 11:06:24 AM »
YOU DON'T NEED TO "KNOW" ANYTHING TO START LAW SCHOOL. Except knowing how to read, speak, and think critically. 

This is exactly right. 

cswinter

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 11:10:37 AM »
I can't help but chime in to reinforce what everyone else is saying.

Don't get bent out of shape if other people attended that over-priced "pre-law" week held by the Princeton review.  Some of these people might act like they know it all, just because they spent a week listening to some professor say words they didn't understand at the time.  The entire first month of my 1L, this one dude would not shut up about how he "heard this," "learned that," "did this" at that law camp.  Everyone hated him for it and all of the supposed "head start" didn't help him all year long because guess why he won't be coming back for law school? - he flunked out, an incredible feat once you're in the door...

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 11:33:22 AM »
First thing: don't listen to anything that another 0L tells you that you should know. That includes people at your school AND the number of 0Ls who will invariably post on this thread to tell you what you should have already read.

YOU DON'T NEED TO "KNOW" ANYTHING TO START LAW SCHOOL. Except knowing how to read, speak, and think critically. The school will teach you the rest. Plan to work hard the first few weeks and watch as the people who prepped before school started lose their "edge" almost immediately.

If anyone at orientation starts to tell you about how much prep they did for school, excuse yourself to the restroom, get a drink, and find someone else to talk to who isn't a gunner.

Fantastic advice.  Only listen to yourself, and do not even pay attention to what others do.  Who cares!  It is your education.

And I knew plenty of people who thought they knew everything...they are no longer in law school because they flunked out or couldn't handle it, or they were suddenly quiet all the time.  We had a transfer last fall who thought he was the *&^%.  He ran his mouth all the time about how  much work he does etc...  He was suddenly quiet, and very low key last semester.  Everyone does things differently, things can change quickly.  Do what you feel is necessary.  Ignore what anyone tells you if it goes against how you do things(except professors of course).  And just relax, and enjoy the rest of your summer.

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 11:42:18 AM »
You must know where the school building is.  But don't listen to me I'm just an 0L... ;)

Seriously, I'm in your boat. I'm probably worse off. 
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 11:51:53 AM »
Make sure you know how to dress Fly:
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.