Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm on law review, how much does this increase my chances of a summer associate?  (Read 826 times)

brownsfan05

• View Profile
I just got the email today.  I'm going to a T2 school, so I'm thinking this is big for getting a summer job.  What do you think?  How much does law review on a resume really help?

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
It makes you stand out from everyone else who did not get on Law Review.  And makes you more attractive a candidate because of it.  Did you grade on?  Write on?   Law review helps, but it's not like a simple math formula "Law Review = +30% probability of Job X"

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
That's terrific - Congrats!

lawchick09

• View Profile
Congrats on making it in. While it is an accomplishment making it in, the reality of it is is thatit is only helpful in getting your foot in the door. I can tell you that at my T3 school,only a handful of people had jobs (be it after graduation or for their 2L/3L summers). The reality of it is, that unless you're at a T14 school, the job market for lawyers is a tough one and law review only puts you ahead so far. You have to do a lot to distinguish yourself from the bunch and the interview is obviously the first step at doing that. Ace the interviews and you'll be one step closer to that "dream job". Good luck!

brownsfan05

• View Profile
Congrats on making it in. While it is an accomplishment making it in, the reality of it is is thatit is only helpful in getting your foot in the door. I can tell you that at my T3 school,only a handful of people had jobs (be it after graduation or for their 2L/3L summers). The reality of it is, that unless you're at a T14 school, the job market for lawyers is a tough one and law review only puts you ahead so far. You have to do a lot to distinguish yourself from the bunch and the interview is obviously the first step at doing that. Ace the interviews and you'll be one step closer to that "dream job". Good luck!

My guess is that it won't be helpful for Vault time firms, but for medium and somewhat larger firms, it will distinguish me.  I'm not going to even bother with Vault firms since those go to T14ers as you say.  I guess I'll see how much it helps during OCI and fall recruitment.