Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do you wanna be when you grow up!  (Read 520 times)

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
What do you wanna be when you grow up!
« on: August 04, 2007, 10:51:03 AM »
What practice area is everyone planning on/hoping to get into and why? Are there any public interest people?  Anyone hope to go solo?  What are your plans?

I'm interested in Real Property, Securities, and Corporate.  I would like to go solo after some lawfirm training.  I'm not interested in Biglaw because that environment doesn't excite me.  I have a BBA in Finance, and International business, and am Currently a Real Estate licencee.  So I'm making a career change but not neccesarily a change in subject matter.  I'm maintaing an active licence and am thinking of a Real Estate Boutique, and Civil Law Practice in my neighborhood but with easy access to the courts downtown, and the commercial district.  I'm extremely flexible though and may wind up doing something completely different.  Like Circus Clown ;) , or Devil >:D
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What do you wanna be when you grow up!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 10:58:24 AM »
i always wanted to practice criminal law, or go into public interest

Being a D.A. always excited me. But im quite sure that will change and even though it may, i still want to practice in an area where i can see how my work is benefitting others and changing the way things are in some way or another

Jen2bJD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 11:26:50 AM »
I have always wanted to work on behalf of children and be a child advocate in some capacity. I am a teacher right now and I can't wait to become a lawyer.

For instance, I would love to be a public defender for children, because I also find criminal law very interesting, and the field melds criminal and juvenile justice law. My school has a juvenile justice clinic that I hope I can be a part of.

And even if I have to take a different job for a few years to pay off loans, I want to be a volunteer Guardian ad litem in the meantime.  :)

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 11:29:24 AM »
I have always wanted to work on behalf of children and be a child advocate in some capacity. I am a teacher right now and I can't wait to become a lawyer.

For instance, I would love to be a public defender for children, because I also find criminal law very interesting, and the field melds criminal and juvenile justice law. My school has a juvenile justice clinic that I hope I can be a part of.

And even if I have to take a different job for a few years to pay off loans, I want to be a volunteer Guardian ad litem in the meantime.  :)

Thats good. I wish the benefits were better for lawyers lke us who want to give back in someway, but they're not. They do have loan repayment options though. Im going to definitely try to take advatage of that. Then after i pay my loans back, i want to open my own solo practice someday.

Jen2bJD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 01:03:55 PM »

Thats good. I wish the benefits were better for lawyers lke us who want to give back in someway, but they're not. They do have loan repayment options though. Im going to definitely try to take advatage of that. Then after i pay my loans back, i want to open my own solo practice someday.

Sounds great. Yeah I definitely want to look into loan repayment programs too, but I have also heard of people who stretch out their loan repayments over many years and pay like $250/month or something so that they can practice the kind of law that they want. There are obvious drawbacks to this, of course. I'll just see how I feel when I get out of school.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 02:02:08 PM »
I plan on working in Domestic Violence at the D.A.'s office.  I'd also like to work in Child Dependency Court. 
Down the road I think I would like to aspire to the bench and maybe a nice cushy professorship at the end of the road.