Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thomas Cooley vs. Nova Southeastern  (Read 5842 times)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Cooley vs. Nova Southeastern
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2007, 12:48:14 PM »
I know this comes as a shock, but my Nova friends are living in nice houses, driving nice cars, have money in the bank and are enjoying their careers and their lives. And that's all that matters.

That is not all that matters!!  This school has made money off of student loans, at the expense of the students, has taken advantage of taxpayers dollars, both federal and county, has failed to try to improve the quality of education it provides, it cares more about expansion rather than spending money on providing the students an education that they pay for.

I cannot fathom why someone could waste their money going to a school that, by their actions, doesn't care about anything but making money.  But I guess that is all that is important as you state in your post.

It's not all about"me", you need to care about all the people this school takes advantage of.
[/quote]

Someone will "waste" their money going to this school because they know that they will have a nice job and a good quality of life in South Florida when its over. That is all that matters. You go to college, law school, etc., for personal fulfillment. Shockingly, people who are personally fulfilled want to share that happiness with others in the form of being helpful, performing community service, promoting education by supporting scholarships, mentoring programs, etc. Amazing, isn't it? For people wanting to work in South Florida, Nova is a good choice.
Vanderbilt 2010

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2007, 12:50:58 PM »

Someone will "waste" their money going to this school because they know that they will have a nice job and a good quality of life in South Florida when its over.

This is a load of crap.  My ex-co-worker was top 10% + LR at Nova.  She's still agonizing over jobs as we speak. 

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2007, 02:28:31 PM »

Someone will "waste" their money going to this school because they know that they will have a nice job and a good quality of life in South Florida when its over.

This is a load of crap.  My ex-co-worker was top 10% + LR at Nova.  She's still agonizing over jobs as we speak. 

Maybe its just your friend...

Not taking up for the school or anything, because i could care less really.

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2007, 02:47:10 PM »
There are state judges who have graduated from Nova. I voted for one in the 2004 election. Federal-probably not.

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2007, 03:24:13 PM »
Don't go to either. Just retake the LSAT and see what happens.

hillstaffer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2007, 09:16:45 PM »
You won't get "sjminflorida" to reveal a citation, though you have now asked him twice and he just keeps sputtering out sound bites like a broken juke box.  That's because his "facts" (cough cough) are from a website called "eyeonenova.org."  It's not a website dealing with academics, law school, or concerned about any legal topic what so ever.  It's actually a liberal pro-union site trying to rally people around a pointless cause to get Nova to allow it's workers to unionize.

A few posters have already read sjminflorida's posts on the school specific Nova site on this website - with much humor I might add.  You'll just have to ignore him.  If Nova registered all staff in a union, offered free parking to the AFL-CIO, had classes taught by union bosses, and endorsed Dennis Kucinich for president...sjminflorida would be singing their praises!!!

Alas, he's just another fanatic...  But for sheer entertainment purposes, please ask him to reveal his references again.  (*To save you the frustration after seeing his response, I'll just give it to you:  www.eyeonnova.org.)

Oh, and to the guy who asked about Cooley vs. Nova, I personally don't care but would have to agree with the board's concensus so far and say Nova.  ...be prepared though.  I'm sure your future employers will ask why in the world you went to a school without unions!?!?  Not really.

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2007, 09:41:16 PM »
The rule of thumb with local law schools is that they generally won't get you anywhere beyond your local area. Seeing that Nova Southeastern is in a growing market (South Florida) and Thomas Cooley is in a smallish state capitol- I'd say the choice shouldn't be that hard.

Ad oculos

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2007, 07:54:46 PM »
Neither school will give you great options for employment.  As long as you know this when you go in, work hard and you'll be okay.  It's a lot of money to spend and a huge opportunity cost when the chances are you won't be able to land a solid job to pay it back.

SWATJester

• http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacSimSWATJester
    • View Profile
    • May It Please The Court -- A guide for 1L's and aspiring law students.
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2007, 11:04:23 PM »
Neither school will give you great options for employment.  As long as you know this when you go in, work hard and you'll be okay.  It's a lot of money to spend and a huge opportunity cost when the chances are you won't be able to land a solid job to pay it back.

Nova has good employment opportunities in boutique firms in South Florida. Personal injury firms particularly like to hire out of there, and PI is big bucks in south florida
Are you a 1L or aspiring law student? You need to read this!
http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
A guide for 1L's and law students-to-be written by a 1L at American University Washington College of Law.