Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any advice for the orientation and the first day?  (Read 2734 times)

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any advice for the orientation and the first day?
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 03:01:18 PM »
Remember that you are already admitted to the school.  You really aren't there to impress the admin anymore.  You can be yourself.  Not being yourself makes you a D.B.  That includes wearing clothing that isn't comfy.  They are just going to have you do some easy stuff to get your feet wet.  Ours is easy and friendly.  Nothing whatsoever to worry about.  My only worry was that it was too boring! 

Try to remember the names of people you meet.  Have fun!  Orientation is a piece of cake.  Go out after and have some fun. 

Nothing about orientation is difficult unless you make it that way. 

COASTAL

• Can't stand work anymore, must get out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 03:03:26 PM »
Do not ask about law review.

Wear a collared shirt and jeans or shorts.

Don't bring one of those leather interview cases, or a briefcase, or anything like that.

Do not wear a frat boy baseball hat (this one is personal to me).

Postal, will go Coastal, due to slow Postal from law schools!!!!!! $#@%!*$)#

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 03:27:44 PM »
I'm wearning my old army Battle Dress, and Face paint.  Whooah!  ;)
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 03:45:05 PM »
Amen to the first two responses above.  Put those suggestions into practice as if they came from the keyboard of your favorite religious hero.

Two other suggestions:

1.  Reserve your judgment about others - no one else has ever gone to law school before and may be nervous or otherwise pressurized with anxiety.  Also, don't be afraid of people's bluffs trying to act like they are the best thing that has come to your law school - you haven't gotten a single grade yet.

2.  If you're a guy, immediately start checking the left hands.  This will likely be a very disappointing experience indeed as you will discover that you'll have to fend for the same selection as every other guy foaming at the mouth around you.

good advice

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 06:42:17 PM »
do not show up in a suit.  it looks funny on you, remember, you are only a student

SWATJester

• http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacSimSWATJester
    • View Profile
    • May It Please The Court -- A guide for 1L's and aspiring law students.
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 07:23:22 PM »
Register with the computer network and get your ID beforehand. Same thing with your books, buy them BEFORE orientation. And for god sake make sure you check to see if your courses have assigned summer reading before you get there the first day, and set up and blackboard stuff you have to do for those.

Also, join a facebook group for your incoming class and section, and meet your section mates before class, so you get an idea of who has what personalities.

Finally, read my blog. See signature for details.
Are you a 1L or aspiring law student? You need to read this!
http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
A guide for 1L's and law students-to-be written by a 1L at American University Washington College of Law.

njlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 09:24:48 PM »
If you're worrying about what you wear, law school will be a hell of self-imposed pressure for you.

Don't join a clique right away. They will start forming. Hang out with some people for an hour, then switch. Get to know different people before you decide who your best friend is.

We had three days of orientation. I showed up very drunk on morning #3. This is a risky maneuver, but it worked well for me. There's really only one person who held this stunt against me. However, if you follow this example, you shouldn't volunteer to speak in front of everyone.

Also avoid racial/ethnic/sexist/religious jokes during orientation.

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 08:51:31 AM »
Register with the computer network and get your ID beforehand. Same thing with your books, buy them BEFORE orientation. And for god sake make sure you check to see if your courses have assigned summer reading before you get there the first day, and set up and blackboard stuff you have to do for those.

Also, join a facebook group for your incoming class and section, and meet your section mates before class, so you get an idea of who has what personalities.

Thanks for your service Bro.  My e-contract ends in exactly 12 days then I have that f'n 6 mo addendum to wait out since we're in war. I was joking about wearing BDU's to school BTW.  My first day I'm going in the buff:
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

middlelanguage

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 09:15:50 AM »

This is good advice, especially with regards to reading assignments. Specifically remember that I misread the reading assignments and read nothing for two of my classes on the first day. It made absolutely no difference in terms of grades, but it added stress that first day; stress is something no one needs more of.

SWATJester

• http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacSimSWATJester
    • View Profile
    • May It Please The Court -- A guide for 1L's and aspiring law students.
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 02:20:09 PM »

This is good advice, especially with regards to reading assignments. Specifically remember that I misread the reading assignments and read nothing for two of my classes on the first day. It made absolutely no difference in terms of grades, but it added stress that first day; stress is something no one needs more of.

And god forbid you get called on if you didn't read. It almost happened to me today. I didn't read my assignment completely, as a result I only did half of the assigned readings and showed up in class today like "Uh, we were supposed to read THAT?" The guy next to me got called, not me though.

On a similar note, @ Gwiz, military service helps a lot, doesn't it? Writing OPORDS and FRAGO's helps quite a bit with learning how to structure your writing (though you have to relearn it the legal way, but you know that heh)
Are you a 1L or aspiring law student? You need to read this!
http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
A guide for 1L's and law students-to-be written by a 1L at American University Washington College of Law.