Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hovering around the median. Is it really that bad?  (Read 5785 times)

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hovering around the median. Is it really that bad?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2007, 03:30:59 PM »
No I spent two years managing millions of dollars in investments. And thus far, on the job market, GPA has been much more important.

So while you may think I was being smart, I was actually saying... good luck with that. Because so far, GPA has been paramount.

And yes, I intend to work 2-3 years making big money and move on to something less time intensive. 
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2007, 03:36:06 PM »
Well that's good to know you were giving me some gold ol' well-wishing. Thanks,

I too was managing multi-million dollar projects for state and private entities, which still are clients of the firms I'm targeting. That's the reason I believe WE will be a factor in my job search. Of course it's not the standard, but in my case I've been told it will indeed help.

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2007, 03:41:12 PM »
Then perhaps it will help in your case. The norm, I am thinking, is that WE helps, but not as much as GPA... it's much more numbers driven than I would have originally thought. But I am also applying far far away from where my WE was.
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2007, 03:47:21 PM »
There is no question that you are right regarding grades/rank. Obviously some firms apply a strict cut-off. I discussed this with my recruiter (not my CDO). Subsquent to that discussion and after reviewing my experience she gave me a whole list of firms that don't fall on that AmLaw 200 list.  NALP shows all of those firms paying at least 125K. 

This whole process has been interesting because you have some telling you you'll be fine and get a decent salary and the others are telling you your pretty much F#$@ed.  This whole field is crazy.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2007, 03:52:46 PM »
Ok. Perhaps my terminology is off.  I'm looking for 125K and it seems like a lot of the mid-law firms I have targeted do in fact pay that. 

Wow, show me these mid-size firms.  They may pay 125K, but I am willing to bet they pay this to real hot shots from the tops of classes.  In Philly and DC, I have heard of mid-size firms (around 25 to 100 attorneys) paying between 70 and 100K depending on experience, grades and standing etc...The average attorney in the US, based upon department of labor statistics, make 110K.  I have only heard of BIGLAW firms paying 125K for new associates. 
Lots of places have mid firms that pay over 125K.   

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2007, 05:55:43 PM »
Ok. Perhaps my terminology is off.  I'm looking for 125K and it seems like a lot of the mid-law firms I have targeted do in fact pay that. 

Wow, show me these mid-size firms.  They may pay 125K, but I am willing to bet they pay this to real hot shots from the tops of classes.  In Philly and DC, I have heard of mid-size firms (around 25 to 100 attorneys) paying between 70 and 100K depending on experience, grades and standing etc...The average attorney in the US, based upon department of labor statistics, make 110K.  I have only heard of BIGLAW firms paying 125K for new associates. 

LA, OC, San Diego, B-more  all have mid firms that pay over 125K.   
I figured nyc too.  Anyway, I think biglaw is more commonly known as V100.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2007, 08:01:07 AM »

Any mid-sized firm that pays over $125k is generally going to be a "boutique" firm and these firms are generally as selective, if not more so, than a big firm.

Also, a "big firm" is just that.  It is a law firm with 750+ attorneys nation-wide.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2007, 08:41:14 AM »

Any mid-sized firm that pays over $125k is generally going to be a "boutique" firm and these firms are generally as selective, if not more so, than a big firm.

Also, a "big firm" is just that.  It is a law firm with 750+ attorneys nation-wide.

I think generally any "big firm" is one listed on the V100.  Not all of them have 750+.  I think most people generally regard "big firms" as having anywhere over 200+

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2007, 09:21:37 AM »
I think you're right. Over 200 is big. Then there are the mega firms. In any event, I hear the market is pretty good this year and firms are actually struggling to recruit all the associates they need.

Anyone else hear this?

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2007, 09:27:25 AM »
The mega firms that pay the big salaries are never struggling.  Its a numbers game.  If an office is taking 30-35 summer associates, they will likely receive at least 75-100 offers, usually many more than that. The firms may not be getting the applicants they want, but there is definitely no shortage of applicants.