Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hovering around the median. Is it really that bad?  (Read 5717 times)

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hovering around the median. Is it really that bad?
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
I think Kilroy55 is right here.  The "market" is what Biglaw pays, and you're not going to get that from a mid-sized firm.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 02:26:50 PM »
Ok. Perhaps my terminology is off.  I'm looking for 125K and it seems like a lot of the mid-law firms I have targeted do in fact pay that. 

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 02:58:25 PM »
Ok. Perhaps my terminology is off.  I'm looking for 125K and it seems like a lot of the mid-law firms I have targeted do in fact pay that. 

Wow, show me these mid-size firms.  They may pay 125K, but I am willing to bet they pay this to real hot shots from the tops of classes.  In Philly and DC, I have heard of mid-size firms (around 25 to 100 attorneys) paying between 70 and 100K depending on experience, grades and standing etc...The average attorney in the US, based upon department of labor statistics, make 110K.  I have only heard of BIGLAW firms paying 125K for new associates. 

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2007, 03:10:00 PM »

The mid-sized firms I speak of were suggested to me by a legal recruiter in the market where I want to work. That recruiter is aware that 9 years of WE means something to those firms more so then class rank. I'll be sure to repost when and if I get an offer. 

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2007, 03:19:35 PM »

Wow, show me these mid-size firms.  They may pay 125K, but I am willing to bet they pay this to real hot shots from the tops of classes.  In Philly and DC, I have heard of mid-size firms (around 25 to 100 attorneys) paying between 70 and 100K depending on experience, grades and standing etc...The average attorney in the US, based upon department of labor statistics, make 110K.  I have only heard of BIGLAW firms paying 125K for new associates. 

You gotta keep in mind there slick willy that those "statistics" include people doing public interest work and DA's, PD's and other jobs that pay like $35k a year, AND they include big firm partners making $1-1.5 Million a year.  The averages are essentially worthless.

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2007, 03:20:15 PM »
That recruiter is aware that 9 years of WE means something to those firms more so then class rank. 

Yeah... good luck with that.
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2007, 03:21:04 PM »
You guys are hilarious.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 03:23:27 PM »
That recruiter is aware that 9 years of WE means something to those firms more so then class rank. 

Yeah... good luck with that.

I would expect such a comment from someone who also left the following comment:

"WOOO! Done with the first semester of law school exams!!! Well on my way to making 6 digits!!!!"

Hilarious even more so.

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2007, 03:26:17 PM »
Yes but unlike you, I am doing well in law school and am going big law.
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2007, 03:29:30 PM »
Congrats...and I look to see you leaving BigLaw in a couple of years considering the attrition rate is that of your typical TTT. You should be on autoadmit.

I did also did well based on my transfer school and new school (Around a 3.5). Lemme guess...you went straight from undergrad to law school?