Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hovering around the median. Is it really that bad?  (Read 5726 times)

rutherford

• View Profile
Hovering around the median. Is it really that bad?
« on: August 01, 2007, 09:37:47 AM »
I'm around the median at a Top 20 school and I'm preparing for OCI and my mass emailing. In reading all of the posts on message boards and news articles I wonder is it really that bad for those of us not in the Top 10%?

I have a hard time not thinking negatively, but then I think of those in the low T1s-T4 schools and how they must have it a hell of a lot harder.  Anyone have insight into actual job prospects for someone in my boat?

p0six

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hovering around the median. Is it really that bad?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 09:44:13 AM »
Don't believe the naysayers.  The world is not over if you're not on law review at Yale.  You'll be fine and will land a job.  Clearly if the "world was over" for someone at the median of the class of a T20 school, what about all the people in the T2/3/4 schools?  Somehow I doubt they're all begging on the streets.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 10:03:02 AM »
OCI may not pan out if you're around the median - most large firms have pretty strict grade qualifications, and if you don't meet it, you won't get a screening interview.

That doesn't mean you can't find a paying firm job though.  You may just have to do more leg work to do it.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 10:07:49 AM »
You will find a job, so don't worry.  An often quoted refrain puts it best, "Ninety percent of lawyers didn't graduate in the top 10% of their class." 

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 10:12:52 AM »
First of all, thanks for the responses. It always sucks when a post floats to the bottom unanswered.  In any event, I figured that OCI may not pan out; however, I also have bids in for a Regional Interview program where I may have better luck.

My grades are so/so, but I have a ton of WE related to the field of law I want to practice and think firms might be interested if they can get past my GPA (which isn't horrible).

If I don't get an interview with a firm during OCI is it still OK to contact them directly? 

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 11:23:20 AM »
First of all, thanks for the responses. It always sucks when a post floats to the bottom unanswered.  In any event, I figured that OCI may not pan out; however, I also have bids in for a Regional Interview program where I may have better luck.

My grades are so/so, but I have a ton of WE related to the field of law I want to practice and think firms might be interested if they can get past my GPA (which isn't horrible).

If I don't get an interview with a firm during OCI is it still OK to contact them directly? 

I would say so.  Contacting firms directly through mail is always ok, unless they say otherwise.  This comes from my career services office. 

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 11:30:06 AM »
That's what I thought, although I'm not sure I will fair any better then through OCI. I guess it does give me the option to target those partners in the firm that practice in the same field I'm interested in.

This whole OCI thing has me as nervous as playing Black Jack.  I'm really not sure what to expect. My CDO says although by no means is it a lock, I might get a couple of interviews. I guess it's better then them telling me I have absolutely no shot whatsover.

I did balance my bidding between longshots and those firms that said 3.0 or higher preferred, so maybe that will help.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 02:01:34 PM »
If you apply to a Biglaw firm, one that does most of its interviewing and hiring through OCI and early fall interviewing, and they pass you over, I don't know that i'd waste the stamp (or simply the time, if you email), since you're 99.99% likely to strike out.

If, however, you send your resume to a smaller or medium firm, who may not strictly hire in early fall, and you get rejected, then I'd wait a few months, and send another letter.  Small firms especially don't necessarily know what their hiring needs will be until early or mid spring (and some even later), and it may not be that they aren't interested in hiring.  It could just be that they don't think or know if they need someone right when you're available.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 02:11:24 PM »
I'm thinking mid to late August I'm going to pelt w/ resumes all of the big firms that work in the practice area I'm interested in.  Additionally, I'll hit some of the mid-firms that pay market.

I'm hoping that my work experience makes up for my GPA.

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 09:55:07 AM »
I'm thinking you chances at Biglaw are pretty slim.  Those at low T1s-T4s do have it harder, but that just means that they don't get Biglaw jobs with median grades either.  I agree with Jacy85 that letters to Biglaw that pass you over for screening interviews are probably not worth the stamp (and I would add that neither are Biglaw firms that don't interview at your school, since they are only interested in those schools at which they hire, and the few shining stars who mail in resumes).  I think your chances at mid-firms are much better.  That said, there's always a chance.  It's just a question of (1) whether you can handle the cost, and (2) whether you can handle the possibility of a 100% rejection rate.