Law School Discussion

$250 Registration Cancellation Fee

yykm

Re: $250 Registration Cancellation Fee
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 05:07:48 PM »
I never heard of a school charging for students to withdaw before this. People withdrwa all the time at larger public schools.  Some withdraw b/c they cant afford that semester.  You can also call your local ethics hotline about the matter as well.  They may be able to provide insight into whether the school can hold this against you when you apply for the bar.

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 06:28:36 PM »
sucking it up probably would be the best thing to do, but I still wouldnt do it.  Not knowing what school you are at is a bit difficult, but what I would do is draft your petition/complaint and copy every University (not just law school) adminsitrator.  Send it to the chancellor, provost, all of the aministrative deans, you get the picture.  Cause a bit of a stink (in a professional manner) and you are bound to find at least one person in the administration who will find your complaint legit, then see where that takes you. 

Most students will stop with their particular school's (law school in this case) administration. I wouldn't.  I think that if you are at a decent school with decent people running the school, you will find that if you bring the matter up to the proper people, someone will listen.  Forget about the politics that your law school administration plays; go above them. 

And as far as your "credit" is concerned, that would take quite a while, assuming that your school does report it. So, if you dont pay in the next couple of months, I would be VERY suprised if you suffered more than a hold on your school account (who cares). 

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 06:49:39 PM »
I can't say for sure, having not seen your contract with the school, but I would bet my bottom dollar that you agreed at some point to pay that fee if you withdrew.  If you signed a matriculation contract of some sort, I would look there first.  I find it highly doubtful that you law school would charge you a fee without some contractual basis.  Unless you think you can argue this is an unenforceable penalty (which if you remember from your contracts class is a last-ditch legal argument that you're unlikely to win), you're out of luck.

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 08:14:37 PM »
I also withdrew today just to find out that I owe a $50 "withdrawl fee"- not quite as bad as your but still no fun

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 03:01:06 PM »
Ethics hotline of the local bar said it was not their territory, and despite the fact that payment is not due until the 21st, there is already a hold on my account.