Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Realistic is the book One L?  (Read 775 times)

Jen2bJD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How Realistic is the book One L?
« on: July 30, 2007, 11:05:17 PM »
I posted this question on the prelaw board too, sorry to repeat myself: I just finished the book (a true account of the author's first year at HLS in the 1970s, in case anyone doesn't know).

I thought it was a fascinating read. It made law school seem intense and very challenging--for me these are positive adjectives. What do people who have been 1Ls think of the book?  How true to real life is it?  How about the portrayal of the other students, and of the professors?

Also, if I am going to a school that is ranked high up in the second tier (as opposed to a school like Harvard), how similar/different do you think the experience would be from the author's? Thanks!

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
Re: How Realistic is the book One L?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 12:24:17 AM »
my experience was vary dissimilar to 1-L.

cultures vary from school to school, but i doubt any law school today is like the book.

this is not to say that individual students do not make law school very stressful for themselves. some do. most don't.
case '09

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 12:40:31 AM »
1L was enjoyable, I liked it a lot. 

SergioCQH

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 12:43:42 AM »
Authors don't write books to be relaxing reads.

Jen2bJD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 06:19:09 PM »
Thanks for the reponses, guys.

Anyone else?

Flashman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 07:37:15 PM »
I didn't find it too similar to my experience, although some elements were there in a much more muted fashion.  There is pressure, much of it is self-induced, and there is competition, but not so much in a man to man (or woman) way.  What I mean by that is that you do care where your class rank is, but it's more like you against the "class rank" list than it is against anyone in particular.  Still, there are plenty of assholes in law school, and you don't have to look particularly hard to find them. 

There was a great quote in a book I read before law school (don't remember which one, sorry) about being the idiot who always raises his hand in class to talk.  It was from some graffiti found in the mens room in one of the classroom buildings, and it went like this, "If you don't know who the class a-hole is by week 4; it's you!"

Jen2bJD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 08:14:32 PM »
I didn't find it too similar to my experience, although some elements were there in a much more muted fashion.  There is pressure, much of it is self-induced, and there is competition, but not so much in a man to man (or woman) way.  What I mean by that is that you do care where your class rank is, but it's more like you against the "class rank" list than it is against anyone in particular.  Still, there are plenty of not so nice persons in law school, and you don't have to look particularly hard to find them. 

There was a great quote in a book I read before law school (don't remember which one, sorry) about being the idiot who always raises his hand in class to talk.  It was from some graffiti found in the mens room in one of the classroom buildings, and it went like this, "If you don't know who the class not so nice person is by week 4; it's you!"

Haha...I like that quote. It seems like it would be true. I like the idea of feeling like it is you vs. classrank instead od feeling extremely competitive with individual people. Thanks for the response. :)

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 08:17:56 PM »
I didn't find it too similar to my experience, although some elements were there in a much more muted fashion.  There is pressure, much of it is self-induced, and there is competition, but not so much in a man to man (or woman) way.  What I mean by that is that you do care where your class rank is, but it's more like you against the "class rank" list than it is against anyone in particular.  Still, there are plenty of not so nice persons in law school, and you don't have to look particularly hard to find them. 

There was a great quote in a book I read before law school (don't remember which one, sorry) about being the idiot who always raises his hand in class to talk.  It was from some graffiti found in the mens room in one of the classroom buildings, and it went like this, "If you don't know who the class not so nice person is by week 4; it's you!"

*&^%, it must be me, then. i *do* raise my hand in class a lot.
case '09