Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Debt  (Read 2634 times)

starter

• View Profile
Re: Law School Debt
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 08:32:57 AM »
Why is b-school always floated around as the other option for law students?  Personally, I don't give a rats ass about earning an MBA. 

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 09:07:40 AM »
If you mean "b school" as non top tier law school as opposed to business school, then yes, this is what I chose to do. I will be paying very little for law school at my lower ranked school and since I have very little desire to work in BigLaw anyway, accumulating as little debt as possible is the prudent thing to do. I could have applied to and likely been accepted to a T14 school since other people in my section with lower grades than mine were accepted, but I chose not to for both financial and personal reasons. I do not regret my decision.

I also go to a respected school in a secondary legal market, so its national ranking is of little importance locally. While we don't get the salaries of NYC/Chicago firms, many of the biggest firms pay start around 100K and tend to hire quite a bit from my school, so if I did choose to go into a bigger firm setting, I'd be doing very well, especially when the cost of living is factored in.

sh89

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 12:42:56 PM »
What's the expected income for those who go into the government or prosecution?

Ad oculos

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 04:28:52 PM »
The government payscale is available online.

eqmassa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 07:02:36 PM »
Boalt forgives up to $100k loan debt if you do public interest/government work and make 58k or less, and scales down if you make more than that (you can also put 10k of that towards bar review)~

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 07:29:52 PM »
County prosecutors usually make around $40K, more or less depending on location. Public defenders are in the same territory.

Government agencies cover a broad range in pay. Some are tied to the GS scale others are not. The top paying govt. agencies (SEC, Fed. Reserve Board) pay over $90K a year. Most agencies are not going to pay that much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Schedule

If there is a particular place you're interested in working, look up their website or call them. Chances are the information on salary is public.

Re: LRAP programs, make sure you read the terms very carefully. LRAPS are not standardized and vary widely in quality. Some of the them have terms that might not work for you depending on your personal situation.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 08:13:20 PM »
I think PDs usually make less than DAs.  It's a lot more popular for the gov't to fund prosecutors and be "tough on crime" than it is to fund public defenders, for obvious reasons.

County prosecutors usually make around $40K, more or less depending on location. Public defenders are in the same territory.

Government agencies cover a broad range in pay. Some are tied to the GS scale others are not. The top paying govt. agencies (SEC, Fed. Reserve Board) pay over $90K a year. Most agencies are not going to pay that much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Schedule

If there is a particular place you're interested in working, look up their website or call them. Chances are the information on salary is public.

Re: LRAP programs, make sure you read the terms very carefully. LRAPS are not standardized and vary widely in quality. Some of the them have terms that might not work for you depending on your personal situation.