Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L books?  (Read 4580 times)

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
1L books?
« on: July 30, 2007, 07:15:15 AM »
Hey All,
     Now that the incoming 1L book list is out there, has anyone started pricing out book costs for this upcoming semester? The two books for my Property I class were close to $150 on Amazon... I can't imagine the campus bookstore being any chepaer (my undergrad bookstore was also run by Follet... they were consistantly the most expensive place to buy books).
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

aXXo

• View Profile
Re: 1L books?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 12:33:16 PM »
I priced 4/6 classes--the most expensive ones as far as I can ascertain--on Amazon at $550, but not all of them would arrive on time, so I am going to the bookstore to buy them soon.  Hopefully the bookstore doesn't charge that much more. 

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 07:50:01 PM »
I just came back from a nearby-but-off-campus bookstore with a nice big $400 hole in my wallet... and that didn't even cover all the books (just the three main case books @ about 120 each, the legal writing book and the bluebook). I wonder how much the school-provided materials will run...
Rob
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

GoldiLawks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 08:30:20 PM »
Check out www.campusshelf.com to buy used textbooks from your classmates and students at other NYC area law schools. There is no need to pay full price!!!

Also, half.com, cheapesttextbooks.com.....

ctbeins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
When did they send out the book lists?  I haven't been at home for a week or so. 

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 05:31:31 PM »
They didn't sned out a booklist, but all the info is on the Westlaw wesbite that St John's uses. You have to make your account with West/Westlaw... the ID and password came in the mail last Friday (7/27?). When you follow the directions and eventually log in, you'll find a whole host of information about book lists, orientation, laptop requirements, school schedules, etc... You'll probably want to make sure to check it out before next weekend.
Rob
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

NextL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 09:20:48 PM »
Lawbooks.com sends their books really fast and they are cheap too.