Law School Discussion

1L books?

1L books?
« on: July 30, 2007, 05:15:15 AM »
Hey All,
     Now that the incoming 1L book list is out there, has anyone started pricing out book costs for this upcoming semester? The two books for my Property I class were close to $150 on Amazon... I can't imagine the campus bookstore being any chepaer (my undergrad bookstore was also run by Follet... they were consistantly the most expensive place to buy books).

Re: 1L books?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 10:33:16 AM »
I priced 4/6 classes--the most expensive ones as far as I can ascertain--on Amazon at $550, but not all of them would arrive on time, so I am going to the bookstore to buy them soon.  Hopefully the bookstore doesn't charge that much more. 

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 05:50:01 PM »
I just came back from a nearby-but-off-campus bookstore with a nice big $400 hole in my wallet... and that didn't even cover all the books (just the three main case books @ about 120 each, the legal writing book and the bluebook). I wonder how much the school-provided materials will run...
Rob

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 06:30:20 PM »
Check out www.campusshelf.com to buy used textbooks from your classmates and students at other NYC area law schools. There is no need to pay full price!!!

Also, half.com, cheapesttextbooks.com.....

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
When did they send out the book lists?  I haven't been at home for a week or so. 

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 03:31:31 PM »
They didn't sned out a booklist, but all the info is on the Westlaw wesbite that St John's uses. You have to make your account with West/Westlaw... the ID and password came in the mail last Friday (7/27?). When you follow the directions and eventually log in, you'll find a whole host of information about book lists, orientation, laptop requirements, school schedules, etc... You'll probably want to make sure to check it out before next weekend.
Rob

NextL

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 07:20:48 PM »
Lawbooks.com sends their books really fast and they are cheap too.