Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about cover letters for firms in different cities  (Read 424 times)

brownsfan05

• View Profile
Question about cover letters for firms in different cities
« on: July 28, 2007, 01:44:21 PM »
I'm a 2L getting ready to send out cover letters from a 2Tier regional school.  My career advisor suggested listing any geographical links with a city or why I want to live there in the cover letter. 

Do you agree it's important to discuss the city or ties?  I don't think it would hurt, but I'm confused about applying to big firms with multiple offices. 

One of the firms coming to OCI is interviewing for multiple offices and I don't want to limit myself to one city.  Another firm lists on our website lists Columbus where the recruiter is but the headquarters on NALP is Akron.  What should I do for this?

SJ228

• View Profile
Re: Question about cover letters for firms in different cities
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 02:31:31 PM »
I had this same problem with mass mailings. In each letter I sent out I mentioned "I would love to live in city X because of X." Although I wondered how this would look when I applied to firm X in multiple cities. Are they going to think it's shaddy?

However, since you only have one cover letter for OCI, I would just pick one city and go with it.

I dont really know, but this is just what I was planning on doing.

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 02:50:47 PM »
After saying why you want to work at X firm, you might say something to the effect of "I am particularly interested in your X office."  I did that for Gardere Wynne Sewell, and although they were not hiring for the office I wanted, they still offered me interviews for other offices.

wakaranai

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 08:40:15 AM »
It probably depends on how they are interviewing for OCI. If each office is interviewing separately, then you probably want to make sure to highlight one city specifically. If it's just one interviewer for the firm generally you can still designate a preference, but make it clear you're interested in the firm generally, regardless of city.

If the Web site lists Columbus, you should probably stick to Columbus. For whatever reason, Akron may not be hiring summer associates from your school or at all.