Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chapman or Seattle Law School  (Read 995 times)

Ksharona

• View Profile
Chapman or Seattle Law School
« on: July 28, 2007, 12:17:23 AM »
Hi everyone,
I cannot decide whether I should transfer to Chapman or Seattle Law School. I want to do L.L.M in Tax Law and Chapman offers great tax courses but Seattle does not. On the other hand, Seattle ranks much higher than Chapman. I am the 9th Circuit VITA (Voluntary Income Tax Assistant) Coordinator, and if I move to Seattle, then I will loose this position.

I really do not know that much about Seattle Law School. I appreciate your comments. Thanks

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chapman or Seattle Law School
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 12:48:17 AM »
I just finished my 1l year at Seattle (though I am transferring).  SU is a great school, if you have any questions, ask away!

Ksharona

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 01:10:06 AM »
How did you like your professors? Is there on campus housing for law students? I am planning to practice in California. Do you think that by graduating from SU, I may have problem passing bar or finding job in the future? Thanks

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 01:54:37 AM »
How did you like your professors? Is there on campus housing for law students? I am planning to practice in California. Do you think that by graduating from SU, I may have problem passing bar or finding job in the future? Thanks

I thought my professors were great; knowledgeable with real world experience.  Honestly, I don't have anything bad to say about any of my professors.  But you should take a look at the faculty profiles on the website and see for yourself.

There is on campus housing at the Arch Bishop Thomas Murphy Apartments.  Its a bargain for living in downtown seattle, and they usually will pair you up with other grad students, so you wont be mixed in with ugrads.  They are decent apartments; nothing special, but nice.

I dont know too much about the CA bar (other than its level of difficulty), but in terms of finding a job, SU is definitely a regional school.  I believe that 90% + grads work in the greater seattle area or WA after graduation (dont quote me on that, but its a large % nonetheless).  Even then finding a job seems tough.  There is obvious competition with UW, and of course you have T14 grads coming out to practice in the pacific NW as well.  SU holds its own, but outside of Seattle seems a little tough.  I would think this would be one of your biggest concerns since you want to be in CA.  You can probably check out the OCI firms online since you have been accepted, or speak with someone in the career services office, but in my opinion, that office is pretty terrible. 

Other than that, SU is a great school.  Very down to earth, good rep in the area, in a great city.

jcvidal

• It could always be worse
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 03:47:26 PM »
I also applied to Seattle but haven't heard yet.  What are your numbers?

Ksharona

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 08:42:52 PM »

I am on top 30% of my class. You may want to send a letter of interest to the dean of SU, it might increase your chances. I was accepted last year but I did not go.

Can you tell me why do you want to transfer to SU? I am not sure if it is a good school if I want to practice in another state. What do you think?

jcvidal

• It could always be worse
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 12:59:27 AM »
My main reason for transferring is that I want to practice/live in Seattle, and it's a bump in rankings. 

To be quite honest, I'm not sure either.  SU is most definitely a regional law school.  However, that region may encompass parts of California.  Contact SU and ask how many grads place in CA.  They might even have this info. on their site. Good luck with the decision!  Think if it this way, at least you're in the position to make the decision.  I'm still anxiously awaiting. . .