Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2L Workload: Am I Crazy?  (Read 1195 times)

foxinthesnow

• View Profile
2L Workload: Am I Crazy?
« on: July 26, 2007, 06:24:19 PM »
Is it crazy to be on a journal, take a full class load, be on the board of two clubs, volunteer at clinics, and work part time? The firm I worked for over the summer has asked me to stay on part time during the year, and I would love to, but I'm not sure if its really feasible. I didn't get awesome grades my first year, compounding the problem, because I imagine doing all of those things would be rather appealing to a future employer. Help?

jsh26

• View Profile
Re: 2L Workload: Am I Crazy?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 07:04:15 PM »
I love posts like this.

foxinthesnow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 07:17:46 PM »
Why? I legitimately have no idea how feasible it is. Everyone says 2L year is much easier, but is that because the classes are easier? If so, then maybe I can do it, but if its just because everyone is less insane, then probably not.

I'm not a gunner, I hate most people at my school and generally don't buy into the whole game of it. I just like working with my firm, but I don't want to screw up everything else to do it.

In sum: Thanks for nothing, jerk.

dsnutter

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 07:48:12 PM »
If you can see yourself with that firm upon graduation, go for it because your grades will not matter much. If not, then make sure to keep the gpa up.

Finally

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 08:07:46 PM »
I worked for a clinic 4 hours a week, a firm 10 hours a week (2 days) and had a full course load. For me, 2L classes had just as much reading as first year, but you know what to expect and how to read...so it seemed a less hectic.
The clubs may not be time consuming, depending on how often you meet but the journal might take up a lot of your time. Cutting back work hours could always help mid-semester.

You might be overdoing it, but it all depends on your study habits. Good luck!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 08:47:09 PM »
It depends.  Is the journal a serious thing?  The journal I was on was pretty intense.  I put, on average, at least 10 hours a week into my comment (sometimes it was less, sometimes it was much more).

What classes are you taking?  A full load can be hellish, or it can be pretty relaxed.  What have you heard about the professors, what the curve is like, etc.?  How much work will the two club boards be?

How many hours per week are you committed to volunteer at the clinics?  How many hours is "part time" for your firm?  And finally, are you interviewing?  If so, are you just interviewing in town, or will you potentially be traveling for callbacks?

If I was in your position, assuming a serious commitment to journal, a fairly heavy workload for classes, a decent amount of work on the clubs, 5 hours for clinics, and 20 hours/week for your firm, I can say with absolute certainty I would NEVER, EVER even consider taking all that on.  And that's not even looking into the time I'd need for interviewing.

If you haven't already figured it out, 2L year is NOT easier.  It's less scary since you know how to read a case, you pretty much know what to expect for exams, etc.  But you have a ton of work to do.  Classes are not less work - you still have a decent amount of reading to do.  You still have to outline for classes.  You still have to do practice exams (assuming you do this stuff to study; not everyone does).  And on top of the work, 2Ls take a lot much more non-class work than most 1Ls would even dream of doing - journal and/or moot court, board positions in student orgs, work, clinics, interviewing, more of a social life, etc.

The old saying is definitely true:  1L they scare you to death.  2L they work you to death.  3L they bore you to death.

nowako21

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 10:05:08 AM »
Unless you're a machine who only needs 2-3 hours of sleep per night, I would not take on that much.  You're motivated now, sure, but what about when November rolls around and you haven't had a minute to yourself or a goodnights sleep in months.  I may only be an incoming 1L, but I'm a type A workaholic with a finance background (i.e. I-banking), and I know exactly what a schedule like that can do to even the most motivated of people.  Choose your priorities wisely because otherwise I think you're going to spread yourself too thin, IMO.
Wall Street Player

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 11:12:03 AM »
Is it crazy to be on a journal, take a full class load, be on the board of two clubs, volunteer at clinics, and work part time? The firm I worked for over the summer has asked me to stay on part time during the year, and I would love to, but I'm not sure if its really feasible. I didn't get awesome grades my first year, compounding the problem, because I imagine doing all of those things would be rather appealing to a future employer. Help?

No, it's not crazy. In fact, when I had a similar schedule, my grades improved. I think it's easier to stay on a roll once you get on a roll. Go for it.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 11:46:25 AM »
I might respectfully bow out of the two club board positions unless they are directly relevant to your aspirations in your career, and are well known enough to help you.  Otherwise, you might just want to be a regular member of those clubs.  You'll get most of the benefits, without the added work.