Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Marine Corp Jag  (Read 800 times)

blackdawg

• View Profile
Marine Corp Jag
« on: July 26, 2007, 04:10:06 AM »
Is it possible to be a jag officer in the "reserves?"
LSAT: 180
UGPA: 3.2
Oxford
Criminology

terpsichore

• View Profile
Re: Marine Corp Jag
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 05:16:24 AM »
i know that the army permits it.  not sure about the marines.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 10:14:41 AM »
USMC JAG is a totally different animal as compared to USA/USN/USAF. I know it is rare to get a direct commission into the reserves in the Army or Air Force so I would be surprised if USMC would allow it.
USMC JAG is strange in that there is no line officer/staff officer distinction. You are a Marine Rifleman first, and maybe a lawyer third. You are not permanently billeted as a Judge Advocate; they can just as easily throw you into leading platoon.

This may not be as much of a leap if you have prior service/are already commissioned. I'm sure a recruiter can answer this better than a bunch of law students.
Air Force JAG Corps

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 12:16:18 PM »
USMC requires all officers to do active duty before permitted to go reserves.  There is a new program called the "National Call to Service Program" where you go active and before making Captain you are transferred into the reserves.  All Marine Officers go through OCS, then six months of basic infantry training known as The Basic School (TBS), where you learn to be a rifle platoon commander.

As said by others above, you are a Marine Officer first and then a lawyer.

Feel free to PM with any OCS specifics. 

utexas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 10:35:07 PM »
Can somebody tell me what working in the other JAGs are like? How would it differ from practicing in the private field? What would a career in JAG entail?

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 04:37:29 PM »
The main difference is between overt and covert homophobia.  That doesn't speak to the actual work, but at least where JAG is concerned, to the institutional ideology.  In private practice, however, it's rare to have a policy of open discrimination.