Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L books.. Get them now or wait till classes start????  (Read 1572 times)

Prizark

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1L books.. Get them now or wait till classes start????
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 02:01:43 PM »
Thus far I only have an assignment from one book. However, according to the online website  I need to get 10 required books for all of my classes! So I don't know if I should just get that 1 book and buy the rest later??

Do you guys suppose that in order to save money I can get an earlier edition? For example, buy the 8th ed instead of the 9th.. or will that be too much of a hassle with reading/cases??

As for the locker, I think that my school is providing one free of charge

I'm all for buying the books as soon as you know what you need.  If you buy them now from amazon you can probably get some really good deals if you don't mind a used book.  I save at least $200 over the used price at the bookstore by purchasing the books online.

As far as the earlier editions go, do it at your own risk.  I did it one time for my income tax class successfully.  I tried doing it with some other classes, however, and it just wasn't going to work.  There are really too many variables.  With your first year courses, I would say go ahead and get the newer editions since the first year classes are all case based.  I think it might be easier to use an older edition with a class that is more code based where the code book is more of your primary textbook.  None of the first year classes are code based so your best bet is to just spend the extra money and get the newest edition out there.

Yea, that makes sense. Plus I don't want to be freaking out later in the semester because I don't have a case or something in my book.

broken

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 02:53:03 PM »
Tag

littlelisalaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 06:28:33 PM »
At my school we don't even find out what section we're in until our orientation, thereby guaranteeing you have to buy your books on campus...

We don't either.  It's a bit on the frusterating side isn't it?  And it's a money making scheme.

Oh, and we were supposed to get our orientation stuff early to mid-July.  One wants to know, is the 24th mid-July?  ??? ::)

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 09:22:32 PM »
my school doesn't even give us our schedule until  the 1st day of class. How messed up is that. I have no idea what i am gonna do about books.

Jen2bJD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 12:45:15 PM »
tag.

Eva Destruction

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 04:19:35 PM »
my school doesn't even give us our schedule until  the 1st day of class. How messed up is that. I have no idea what i am gonna do about books.

Do you have assignments for the first day of class?  The reason my school is giving me this information now is because I've got work that I need to complete before orientation.

And I have to say that having the option of getting the books online is very nice.

However, you might want to be a little cautious about buy used books online.  I just got mine. Everything is as I ordered and they are in good shape, but there is some writing and underlining in one of them.  It's minor enough that it won't bug me, but I could see how it would distract someone.  I'd buy used books in person so that I could make sure I get one with the least amount of writing and underlining possible.
Hermione Granger is a gunner.

Finally

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 08:13:42 PM »
At my school, at my first year books were all required and we used everyone of them. If you have a writing class, you may be able to get away with borrowing someone's or waiting to see if you really need it. But I wouldn't advise waiting...get all your case books and other required stuff.

What I do now is buy all of my books at campus then buy them online again used, and then return them to the bookstore once they all come in. Waiting for a book to be shipped sucks, especially when you need to be prepared for 1L classes.