Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2L Haters:-)  (Read 3228 times)

middlelanguage

• View Profile
Re: 2L Haters:-)
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 05:14:03 PM »
For the benefit of a lively debate.....So, as an incoming 1L I have read and posted thoughts about prepping the summer before and getting study aides.  Being wise in the world of law school, here are my conclusions.  Obviously one can not get casebooks or supplemental casenotes to go along with the keyed casebook until one finds out what his or her specific professor wants.  This is a given.  I also agree that reading from commercial outlines may be counter productive before 1L starts. 

That being said, I have read certain chapters from my E&E's and also have used my laws in a flash cards.  Every time I mention this, some 2L goes on a rant as if I am trying to overthrow them in the race for the top of the class (as if 1L's and 2L's were in contest for some prize or job).  Now I am not doing a 1 year PLSII prep, but I am doing a 6 week or so brief over view.  Reading the basics and beginning chapters in the E&E's and also doing LEEWS.  Personally, I have found this very helpful and informative; not to mention feeling more self confident.  I have a good general idea of the basic concepts and terms covered in the books so far.  When law school starts, I feel my understanding will only enhance.  I also have been doing practive via LEEWS and find my writing becoming more organized every time. I feel that there is nothing wrong with relaxing, yet also prepping and preparing as 1L approaches.

2L's fireback when ready.....

All of this is a huge waste of time. You can't really prepare for the classes, so much as actually experience them. As for finding "this very helpful and informative," you really have no way to judge whether its "helpful and informative" because you have nothing to which you can compare your experience. So really, you are just being conned out of your money by greedy law professors.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 07:59:29 PM »
i still don't know what the hell a LEEWS is... i keep seeing that around these boards... is it some sort of super institution that injects legal knowledge into yo head?
testing testing 1 2 3

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 08:39:16 PM »
i still don't know what the hell a LEEWS is... i keep seeing that around these boards... is it some sort of super institution that injects legal knowledge into yo head?

Click on search tab, type LEEWS, and you'll find everything you need.  Or, probably easier, just google it.

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 01:10:51 PM »

Glad to see there have been responses.  I have been so swamped in pre-law school prepping I haven't even had a chance to log on in two weeks.  lol

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 01:47:40 PM »
For the benefit of a lively debate.....So, as an incoming 1L I have read and posted thoughts about prepping the summer before and getting study aides.  Being wise in the world of law school, here are my conclusions.  Obviously one can not get casebooks or supplemental casenotes to go along with the keyed casebook until one finds out what his or her specific professor wants.  This is a given.  I also agree that reading from commercial outlines may be counter productive before 1L starts. 

That being said, I have read certain chapters from my E&E's and also have used my laws in a flash cards.  Every time I mention this, some 2L goes on a rant as if I am trying to overthrow them in the race for the top of the class (as if 1L's and 2L's were in contest for some prize or job).  Now I am not doing a 1 year PLSII prep, but I am doing a 6 week or so brief over view.  Reading the basics and beginning chapters in the E&E's and also doing LEEWS.  Personally, I have found this very helpful and informative; not to mention feeling more self confident.  I have a good general idea of the basic concepts and terms covered in the books so far.  When law school starts, I feel my understanding will only enhance.  I also have been doing practive via LEEWS and find my writing becoming more organized every time. I feel that there is nothing wrong with relaxing, yet also prepping and preparing as 1L approaches.

2L's fireback when ready.....

I don't think there is anything wrong with what you are doing.  Each person needs to do what they feel is necessary, but about your idea of building confidence.  Law professors are about to spend the next 32 weeks (both semesters) trying to destroy your confidence so they can rebuild you into something harder.  Wow that sounds like an add for the Army or Marines.  Anyway, I got an interesting email from my advocacy professor a few weeks ago where he was dicussing how the advocacy course works.  He essentially summed it up by stating, "We will spend the next 16 weeks trying to build your confidence in public speaking and appearing before a court.  It is the least we can do for spending the past 2 years destroying your confidence."  This to me sums up 1L.  Do they teach that in prep courses?

rugercaptain

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shirley, Probie, & Sarah--gone to Rainbow Bridge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 10:05:01 AM »
Law professors are about to spend the next 32 weeks (both semesters) trying to destroy your confidence so they can rebuild you into something harder.  Wow that sounds like an add for the Army or Marines. 

...or like what I went through at fire school my rookie year.

The only prep work I'm doing is reading the assignments the profs have already posted on the school's website.  The bane of the Internet...  
Cleveland-Marshall 3L.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 07:00:01 AM »
Let me rephrase this another way:

Let's say you're at a bar with some friends, one of whom brings along a new guy.  Everyone is having a good time.  At some point, the bar's resident ice queen walks in.  Everyone in your group has tried to pick her up and failed, using every approach in the book.  New guys says "I'm going to try [insert line/approach that everyone has already tried]."  When the guys say "Dude, you have no shot if you try that, every regular in this bar has been shot down pulling that out," they aren't being haters.  And when the guy goes over there, if he thinks that they're not validating his approach, it's likely that he doesn't believe in it either.  So he has no confidence and gets shot down.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 08:44:42 PM »
Haters or realists? It seems like it breaks out as the former to those who haven't been through the experience and the latter to those who have.