Law School Discussion

12 Hours A DAY?

challandler

Re: 12 Hours A DAY?
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 02:20:26 PM »
I think most of us are just horribly inefficient by Kilroy's standards. 

When I'm on campus I spend a lot of talking talking about class or reading with other students, often over lunch, a snack, or a cup of coffee.  There is also a lot of walking: to/from class; to/from the lockers; to/from Starbucks.  Oh, and most of my lunches are filled with speakers, panels, or meetings for the various student groups I joined.  While this is technically not "studying," it is all law-related, and is an important part of law school. 

Not to mention, if you're the anti-social kid who goes from class to the library to home in an attempt to be as efficient as possible, you're unlikely to find anyone to spend your newfound free time with becuase the rest of us are too busy being inefficient to hang out with you.

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 04:04:15 PM »
Kilroy, if you don't mind sharing, what were your stats? (LSAT/UGPA) Maybe innate ability comes into play more than we realize.

lol.  That is funny.  If you go by my stats, I was a pretty average student in undergrad.  LSAT 160 UGPA 2.7

I was a chemistry and history double major. 

Ok then  :) Your LSAT score was in the top 25% of the incoming 1L's though - perhaps that gave you an advantage in terms of class rank. In either case, I feel better about the time commitment associated with law school after talking to you  :)

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2007, 05:41:18 AM »
Kilroy, if you don't mind sharing, what were your stats? (LSAT/UGPA) Maybe innate ability comes into play more than we realize.

lol.  That is funny.  If you go by my stats, I was a pretty average student in undergrad.  LSAT 160 UGPA 2.7

I was a chemistry and history double major. 

Ok then  :) Your LSAT score was in the top 25% of the incoming 1L's though - perhaps that gave you an advantage in terms of class rank. In either case, I feel better about the time commitment associated with law school after talking to you  :)

I don't mean to belittle people, because law school does take many hours of hard work.  I just have never known anyone to spend 12 hours a day studying.  I probably do study 8 to 10 hours a day during exam week.  When I was writing my final briefs and memos for writing class, I probably did spend several hours a day, but these instances were the exception.  On average, I spent 3 to 4 hours a day.  Then I socialized with all the other law students who didn't employ the 12 hours a day theory of labor.  I prefer not to be around the library rats who do nothing but read, brief and complain about their work.  They just cause unnecessary stress.

I'm also married (Though married, I am in my 20s), which gives me a strong desire to get all of my work done before six every evening.  I enjoy going to football games, so I like my weekends.  I get a lot of my work done on fridays, so I don't have to do anything on saturday and sunday.  As I have stated numerous times before in other postings, do what you feel is necessary.  But, if you can manage to treat law school like a job and manage your time efficiently, life will be better.

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2007, 12:55:46 PM »
Tag

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2007, 02:10:01 PM »
It should be noted that one gets exponentially faster at the work of being a law student. Something that takes you 4 hours during your first week (like briefing a case) takes you five minutes as a 2L.

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007, 02:46:21 PM »
It should be noted that one gets exponentially faster at the work of being a law student. Something that takes you 4 hours during your first week (like briefing a case) takes you five minutes as a 2L.
i heard that briefing cases is a waste of time though, because it only prepares you for class discussion (not graded) and not your finals (graded)

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 03:21:55 PM »
I don't think briefing is a waste.  In the one semester I did it, I felt much more confident in my recollection of facts and issues in the cases.  It doesn't always translate into better grades, but I felt better in class knowing that I had something to look at that was in my own writing if I got called on.  I wouldn't spend a ton of time on briefs though, as you can get lost trying to make each one "perfect".

As far as studying hours go, I studied on average about 5 or 6 hours a day outside of class.  This time was basically spent reading the cases, sometimes briefing them, and reviewing relevant topics we'd covered previously.  I didn't outline throughout the year like some people, and I'm guessing that's where the major difference in time (6 hours vs. 12 hours) comes in.  Some people spend hours a day, starting on day one of the semester, making outlines for exams.  I'm not that organized. 

There are definitely people who study 12 hours a day, and people who might actually study more, but it's the exception - just like the person who studies one or two hours a day - rather than the rule. 

Good luck!

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2007, 03:45:35 PM »
i heard that briefing cases is a waste of time though, because it only prepares you for class discussion (not graded) and not your finals (graded)

Briefing a case was an example only. Reading a case takes you less time as you get better at it as well.

But for what it's worth, I consider reading a case to be synonymous with briefing it in your head. If you're reading case law for any other reason than to pull out the basic facts and/or law, you need to start watching more movies or something.

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 03:51:41 PM »
This is all really helpful stuff.

Gwiz

• Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2007, 08:40:56 AM »
Tag