Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 12 Hours A DAY?  (Read 7753 times)

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Hours A DAY?
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2007, 10:40:56 AM »
Tag
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2007, 06:14:38 PM »
It should be noted that one gets exponentially faster at the work of being a law student. Something that takes you 4 hours during your first week (like briefing a case) takes you five minutes as a 2L.
i heard that briefing cases is a waste of time though, because it only prepares you for class discussion (not graded) and not your finals (graded)
No experience here, but I think the briefing helps you process the information - organize your thoughts, and synthesize the information so you can put it into an outline.  Or it helps me do that because writing it all down is how I learn best.  I'm just hoping the process does get faster as I get more experienced.

Wait, so correct me if I'm wrong, but you are giving advice and are not even in law school?  Hilarious.  These forums crack me up.

You will brief the first semester, tops.  Then you will just take notes to prepare you in case called on in class.  The reality is your case briefs are pretty damn worthless when the time to outline comes.... Then again, who are my to give advice to an all knowing 0L lol?

lawgirl442

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2007, 10:58:27 PM »
It should be noted that one gets exponentially faster at the work of being a law student. Something that takes you 4 hours during your first week (like briefing a case) takes you five minutes as a 2L.
i heard that briefing cases is a waste of time though, because it only prepares you for class discussion (not graded) and not your finals (graded)
No experience here, but I think the briefing helps you process the information - organize your thoughts, and synthesize the information so you can put it into an outline.  Or it helps me do that because writing it all down is how I learn best.  I'm just hoping the process does get faster as I get more experienced.

Wait, so correct me if I'm wrong, but you are giving advice and are not even in law school?  Hilarious.  These forums crack me up.

You will brief the first semester, tops.  Then you will just take notes to prepare you in case called on in class.  The reality is your case briefs are pretty d**mn worthless when the time to outline comes.... Then again, who are my to give advice to an all knowing 0L lol?

Wait, so correct me if I'm wrong, but you are giving studying advice when you clearly couldn't even pass high school English class?  Hilarious.
UVA '10

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2007, 11:13:58 PM »
Nor was that the world's best-written sentence.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2007, 01:17:39 AM »
Yes, my quick and dirty forum speak therefore makes me a moron.  Shouldn't you be back on the prelaw forums lil girl?  I love when folks like you talk down to people based on a forum post. 

Your classmates will most certainly love you come fall. 

lawgirl442

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2007, 09:57:07 AM »
But it's okay for people like YOU to talk down to people based on a forum post?

Gwiz didn't give anyone reason to think that he was giving his "expert opinion"; he prefaced what he was saying by making sure we knew that he was giving his THOUGHTS on the subject.

I just thought it was a bit rude to mock someone that you've never met for trying to be helpful.

Mocking someone who's trying to be an ass, however, is perfectly okay, which is why I see no fault with my actions.
UVA '10

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2007, 10:05:15 AM »
I'm with 1LMan here.  I can go to an astrophysics conference and give my "thoughts" on the chemical composition of accretion disks surrounding black holes.  But should I?

lawgirl442

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2007, 10:24:17 AM »
If you equate an online forum with a professional conference, I think you may need a healthy dose of perspective...

Look, I'm just saying, gwiz didn't deserve to be attacked like that.  He didn't try to pass off what he said as advice - he wasn't telling people "this is the way it is."  He was just speaking to a principle that he thought applied to the situation.

I don't usually find myself this altruistic, but I am tired of nice, well-meaning people being laughed at for chiming in.  There's just no reason for it.  If you don't think his opinion is valuable, then just ignore it. 
UVA '10

HRoark81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2007, 10:52:09 AM »
He may have been basing his opinion on a principle he thought applies to the situation, but he has no clue whether or how it can apply.  That is why I made my analogy.  He has zero knowledge, therefore he has nothing to add to the discussion.  And if he has nothing to add to the discussion, why is he adding?

lawgirl442

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2007, 11:20:37 AM »
I see your point (it's much easier to see one's point if they refrain from being insulting - 1Lman may catch on some day, although judging by his past posts, you never know...)  I think, however, that gwiz was making less of a statement about law school specifically and more of a statement about learning style in general.  He said that what works for him is to write things down.  His appeal to personal learning style is only slightly less relevant than 1Lman saying "You will brief first semester, tops" because that was HIS personal experience...I've read many other posts by current students saying that they found it helpful to brief throughout the whole of first year.

I agree that if gwiz were trying to tell people how to study for law school, he would be underqualified to do so - however, I think that giving his personal experience related to education in general is no more unwarranted than 1L telling everyone to stop briefing after 1st semester.

After having written this, I feel kind of silly using reasoning like this to defend someone who seems to have disappeared...
UVA '10