Law School Discussion

12 Hours A DAY?

12 Hours A DAY?
« on: July 23, 2007, 06:01:21 AM »
When I visited a law school over the weekend, one student told me that I can expect to study twelve hours a day. I know law school is a lot of work, but twelve hours a day on a regular basis? Is that right? :) Thanks!

Re: 12 Hours A DAY?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 06:15:59 AM »
Probably not quite that much.  But you do need to study any time you are not in class from the time you wake up until the time you go to sleep.  How many hours is that?

TDJD84

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 06:18:03 AM »
12 hrs a day? not likely!!!  I think anywhere from 4-5 is a more accurate guess.  Some times I would only study as little as 1-2 hours, and when legal writing projects were due/the final few weeks, I would study closer to 7-8 hours a day

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 06:20:18 AM »
That is much more along the lines of what I was thinking! Thanks :)

Anyone else have ballpark estimates of how much they study?

eli250

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 07:14:51 AM »
I found that the key to studying was having a consistent schedule.  You'll need to study a lot more than undergrad, but it won't be overwhelming if you just make sure you are doing a little bit everyday.  I don't think I took a day off from studying the entire year, but I never had a cram session either.
  I remember during our first week of school, one guy talked about how he was studying until 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning.  He ended up near the bottom of the class, so I'm assuming he didn't keep up that pace.   

likewise

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 07:17:20 AM »
12 hrs a day? not likely!!!  I think anywhere from 4-5 is a more accurate guess.  Some times I would only study as little as 1-2 hours, and when legal writing projects were due/the final few weeks, I would study closer to 7-8 hours a day

This is waht I did first semester. @nd semester I studied 2-4 hrs/wk plus 60 hrs/wk for the last two before exams.  My grades were the same both semesters.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 07:21:59 AM »
It is usually suggested in College that you spend 2-3 hours outside of class for every hour you spend in class.  If you have 15 credit hours, then you should spend 45-60 hours per week studying...many people can get away with less, but it is not out of the question for a law student to regularly spend 60 hours per week on school.

There are a lot of things that you can't control in law school:  your natural aptitude, how well you test, etc.  The only thing that you can control is the amount of time you work on it.  If you want to do well, you should plan on spending the time, and if you find you need less, then do less.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 07:46:16 AM »
I only studied 1-3 hours outside of class during most of the year, about 2 weeks before finals it went up significantly.

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 08:32:49 AM »
I probably studied 2-3 hours each weekday outside of class time and then I probably spend 8-10 hours studying each weekend, usually spread out over two days. During finals, I studied at least 8 hours per day though, some with my study group and some alone.

You will always find people who claim to study for hours and hours. Some people probably do, but I expect a lot of it is blustering. You need to find the right amount of studying for you. It really depends on your own study habits and abilities. I do think that doing a certain amount each day is the easiest way to keep up and not feel overwhelmed.

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 11:39:40 AM »
Anybody studying 12 hours a day for the whole semester is doing something wrong.

I am so relieved! I wonder why that student I met told me that? It didn't seem like he was being a jerk and trying to scare me. But I digress...

Thanks so much for the info guys. I am really interested in hearing about other people's study plans that have worked for them. :)