Law School Discussion

3L Failed Transfer Taking Q's

PooP

3L Failed Transfer Taking Q's
« on: July 22, 2007, 09:14:47 PM »
I currently attend a high Tier 2 law school. I am in the top 5%. I applied to transfer last year and every school roundly rejected me--I even found out that at least one school to which I applied took a classmate of mine with a lower ranking and a lower undergraduate GPA.

Re: 3L Failed Transfer Taking Q's
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 10:00:34 PM »
Did you send in your applications late??   Did you apply only to T14 schools?

PooP

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 09:16:13 AM »
I applied only to T-14 schools. I did not send any applications late.

PooP

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 09:17:06 AM »
I should also clarify. When I applied, I was in the Top 12%, not the Top 5%.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 09:26:29 AM »
Sounds like poor planning to me. Regardless of your rank you shouldn't have opted to only apply to the T14. Are you happy with your situation? Is your T3 job search working for you?

PooP

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 09:28:01 AM »
Definitely not poor planning. My goal was to apply to T-14 schools only. Also, I am at a T2, not a T3.

The job search went fine--I landed a BIGLAW SA position. The primary reason for my application to transfer was a desire to be in academics.

I am happy with my situation, though I'd have liked to have gone to a T-14 school, obviously.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 09:37:14 AM »
think he meant 3l, not t3

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 10:17:49 AM »
Oh, sorry I missed that. Well it really depends on what you want to do. Seems like it worked out for you because you landed a job.

As for poor planning, I would say still that if someone plans accordingly they wouldn't get denied from all of their choices. Even if you would have been accepted into a school in the top 20 you would likely have a better chance at academics compared to a Tier 2.  I know T-14 is the place to be for teaching; however, there probably were some better options then staying at your T2. Perhaps you weren't as interested in academics as you had thought? Did you have a change of heart or are you planning on academics after working BIGLAW for a while?

PooP

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 01:08:49 PM »
Considering I had a partial scholarship, I opted to apply only to those schools I *knew* would be worth transferring to. In other words, schools that gave me a marginally better chance at academics were not worth it to me. I am still planning on getting into academia at some point. I figure an advanced degree (LLM & JSD, PhD) will aid me in that.

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 01:18:51 PM »
That probably wasn't a bad idea staying put. At least you didn't lose your Rank/GPA for a marginal increase in reputation.   Isn't their a ranking study out there that shows best schools for those interested in teaching? I know I've seen it somewhere.