Law School Discussion

Important question for current law students.

dac

Important question for current law students.
« on: July 20, 2007, 11:09:40 AM »
Concerning the financial timeline for law school, when does a student receive his loan funds? (What is the schedule?)

For example, say Joe is moving across the country to law school. If Joe moves a month before class begins, through what means would he be expected to fund the expensive moving process/month‘s rent? Credit Cards? Old summer job income? Or will the loan have been received by then?

Thanks

Re: Important question for current law students.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 11:29:57 AM »
You get your refund check (whatever is left over from grants, loans, etc.) when school starts. I think finaid offices think you'll use money you made during the summer to pay for moving expenses, whether or not that's realistic. 

If you need the money, most places should be able to forward you some money, or give you a "loan" which they will then take out of your refund check. Best bet is to contact your finaid office and see what they have available.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 12:15:48 PM »
You get your refund check (whatever is left over from grants, loans, etc.) when school starts. I think finaid offices think you'll use money you made during the summer to pay for moving expenses, whether or not that's realistic. 

If you need the money, most places should be able to forward you some money, or give you a "loan" which they will then take out of your refund check. Best bet is to contact your finaid office and see what they have available.

Good luck with that. The people I know who've tried at my school have been told to take out a regular loan because there's nothing financial aid can do until after school starts. Most people typically end up using credit cards until they can pay it back with the loan money.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 04:47:11 PM »
Depends on the school.  Emory gets their students' loan money out just before school starts (about a week maybe before classes start in fall, and before the end of December for spring)