Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Let's make introductions  (Read 6192 times)

babyeatsdingo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Let's make introductions
« on: July 19, 2007, 03:20:30 PM »
Hello. My name is Josh. I'll be a 1L at USD come August. The fact that Scalia and others of his caliber come to USD to speak/teach influenced my decision to attend. Are there any other USD 1Ls-to-be at this LSD board? If so, please introduce yourself.

dsnutter

Re: Let's make introductions
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 03:45:16 PM »
Josh, how's it going? There are quite a few of us soon-to-be 1L's on this board. We typically post on the "USD 2007" thread.

Good to hear that you will be joining us in the fall.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 01:10:15 PM »
Hi, my name is Steve.  I decided last minute to jump ship from USD to Cal Western, because USD gets Scalia and Cal Western gets Kennedy.  But I went to USD for the paralegal program there and have fond memories of the library.

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 05:31:59 AM »
Hi, my name is Steve.  I decided last minute to jump ship from USD to Cal Western, because USD gets Scalia and Cal Western gets Kennedy.  But I went to USD for the paralegal program there and have fond memories of the library.

That's a big mistake in my opinion. I've heard too many bad stories about Cal Western and Thomas Jefferson to justify going there, even on a full ride. If you're worried about the cost of attending, try requesting money from USD. I went from nothing to 16K per year after showing them two other scholarship offers. At least Cal Western is better than Thomas Jefferson and is located in a good spot. I wish you well. I'm sure we'll all hang out during bar review since all the law students from the San Diego schools will likely flock together.

I also noticed that Justice Scalia has visited Thomas Jefferson so it's not like USD is special. Former Justice O'Connor is coming to USD this August as well. I don't think that politics should play a role in choosing a law school. I'm a moderate who leans to the left and will be attending USD nevertheless. Here's some pictures of Scalia at Thomas Jefferson and some information about O'Connor's upcoming visit. I'm sure you were kidding, to some degree, about choosing Cal Western for the reasons stated above but I have pictures of Scalia at TJ and would like to use this fact to point out that USD is no more connected to the political right than TJ.  ;D

http://www.tjsl.edu/scalia_photo_gallery

http://www.sandiego.edu/usdlaw/about/news/calendars/event/2007_0824_OConnor.php
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

babyeatsdingo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 11:17:33 AM »
The fact that Scalia and others of his caliber come to USD to speak/teach influenced my decision to attend.

There is no Center for the Study of Constitutional Originalism* at Cal West or TJ.

* I am interested in learning more about Originalism.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 01:51:16 PM »
Cal Western has a strong local reputation and plenty of job opportunities at the DA and PD, and that's where I'm interested in working.  I have no desire to work in big law, or to leave San Diego, so I have no need for USD's reputation.  Cal Western has really strong trial advocacy courses and moot court/mock trial teams.  Those are the areas I am the most interested in.  Plus, for the cost of one year of school, I can graduate from Cal Western, and get an LL.M from USD.

I am certainly the exception rather than the rule to how to go to law school.  Since I already work in the field, I already have job offers, and a network of resources.  I have my summer jobs lined up throughout law school, so I don't even have to worry about the strength of the school's OCI. 

USD is a very conservative school.  Cal Western is a very liberal school.  That matters to me.  The angle and perspective that the professors have is important to me.  The Scalia/Kennedy thing was a hyperbolic distillation of that.  I didn't say no to USD just because of Scalia, but Scalia being a guest lecturer certainly held no charms for me, and didn't inspire me to want to go there.   The fact that Cal Western has a trip to Washington D.C. and lunch with Kennedy... that was attractive to me. 

That's a big mistake in my opinion. I've heard too many bad stories about Cal Western and Thomas Jefferson to justify going there, even on a full ride. If you're worried about the cost of attending, try requesting money from USD. I went from nothing to 16K per year after showing them two other scholarship offers. At least Cal Western is better than Thomas Jefferson and is located in a good spot. I wish you well. I'm sure we'll all hang out during bar review since all the law students from the San Diego schools will likely flock together.

I also noticed that Justice Scalia has visited Thomas Jefferson so it's not like USD is special. Former Justice O'Connor is coming to USD this August as well. I don't think that politics should play a role in choosing a law school. I'm a moderate who leans to the left and will be attending USD nevertheless. Here's some pictures of Scalia at Thomas Jefferson and some information about O'Connor's upcoming visit. I'm sure you were kidding, to some degree, about choosing Cal Western for the reasons stated above but I have pictures of Scalia at TJ and would like to use this fact to point out that USD is no more connected to the political right than TJ.  ;D

http://www.tjsl.edu/scalia_photo_gallery

http://www.sandiego.edu/usdlaw/about/news/calendars/event/2007_0824_OConnor.php

snobord99

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 11:42:03 PM »
usd is conservative?? seriously??   ???

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 12:13:23 PM »

Not all of the students are.  But the whole campus is fairly conservative.  Even the undergraduate student body.  They have a huge Young Republican's club.  I think it's rooted in the schools history as a Catholic University.

MCB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 01:17:45 PM »
Yeah, I believe USD is Roman Catholic, but my impression is that religious affiliation means pretty much zilch when it comes to 99% of law schools.
USD 2L

snobord99

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 05:56:28 PM »

Not all of the students are.  But the whole campus is fairly conservative.  Even the undergraduate student body.  They have a huge Young Republican's club.  I think it's rooted in the schools history as a Catholic University.

yea, i don't know about the undergrad population...i was referring mainly to the law school...