Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I need some advice from mature law-students who know what they're talking about!  (Read 1901 times)

baldeagle

• View Profile
Ok, this is my problem. I am interested in getting into Law School, but I have a GPA problem. The truth is, when I did the whole undergraduate thing I didn't really apply myself. I joined a fraternity, drank beer, and chased women. So now I am a high school P.E. teacher, and I hate it. I've had interest in law my entire life, and now that I've reached the mature age of 27, I'd like to make a career change. So, my question, is it possible to gain entrance to law school with my mediocre under-graduate degree and terrible GPA (2.4). If I have no chance of getting into law school with my current situation, would it be possible to get accepted by going back and getting a diffrent B.S. degree? Please reply if you have some mature advice.

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
It's difficult to estimate your chances without an LSAT score. You'll find lots of stories on the Pre-Law board about "splitters" (people with low GPA's and high LSAT's) who do okay in terms of law school admission. Perhaps the best place to begin would be to take the LSAT and see how you do (or at least take a diagnostic and a couple of practice tests).

shady2009

• View Profile
I second the LSAT thing, but I would not worry about going back to get another undergraduate degree.  My situation was a little different...I went to college, drank a lot and had fun, but I dropped out without getting a degree.  My GPA was around 1.9.  Then I went and worked, developed a little bit of maturity, and then went back to finish my undergraduate degree.  I did really well the second time around, and I got into law school.

A lot will depend on your LSAT, but if you do pretty well you'll be able to get into a school.  You can probably also turn your experience into a pretty good personal statement

wakaranai

• View Profile
Once you get your first bachelor's degree, your LSAC GPA is locked in at that number. There's no point in going back to get a second bachelor's degree because it will do nothing for your LSAC GPA. Right now you just have to focus on getting the highest score you can on the LSAT. I don't think being immature and doing poorly in undergrad is something to address in a personal statement ever. It's so common it's a nonissue.

rutherford

• View Profile
I'm old and mature and all that jazz. Also, I had a LSAC GPA of 2.5. I got a decent LSAT and that helped. Study your ass off and get a 170 and you'll get into a decent program.

scarlett

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm also old and mature.  And had a really low LSAC gpa (2.6.)  I did well on the LSAT and got into some wonderful schools.  I know we're starting to sound like a Greek chorus here, but it really will all come down to the LSAT for you - go forth and study! 

You'll also have to make sure that the rest of your application is impeccable. 

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Yes it is possible.  I had a 2.6 GPA (or something around that).  I took the LSAT and did mediocre (159).  I got into a fourth tier law school, did very well and then transferred to a tier 1 law school.

If you could get a 165 or so on the LSAT, you could very possible get into a lower ranked first tier the first time around.

LSAT will matter ALOT.  I cannot stress how important it will be for you.  Good luck

dandlewood

• AOL Instant Messenger - bmojob
    • View Profile
    • Email
Same basic scenario as everyone else who has posted here. Had a 2.5, did mediocre on LSAT, in a T4, but staying because I really enjoy the program.

If you work hard on your LSAT's, you should be fine to get in.  Just make sure this is the career you want, because it's a big investment in both time and money.   Also, don't half ass your admission essays.
Made: St Thomas, Florida Coastal
Kiss of Death:Miami, American, Rutgers, Villanova
Paying back the Loan Shark:
Pending: Nova, Widener, Temple, Florida State, Howard, Drexel, Dusquesne, Penn State

CU1989

• View Profile
I would suggest taking an LSAT prep course.  If you don't want to shell out the $$$ for the prep course, I suggest reading "The Logic Games Bible," and taking many, many REAL LSAT practice exams.

BeachBum

• View Profile
Look at schools with part-time evening programs.  Some part-time programs have lower GPA and LSAT requirements than the full-time programs at the same school.  You usually can transfer into the full time program after completing the first year.  After taking the LSAT, Check out lawschoolnumbers.com to get an idea of where people with your LSAT and GPA are being accepted.

You mentioned that you have had an interest in law your entire life, however, this interest does not appear to be a driving force, otherwise you would already be working as a lawyer.  You might want to take some paralegal classes or find a job at a law firm to verify that this is the field you want to go into before going $100-200K in debt.
3.7ish, 170+