Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: mediocre GPA/rank but on law review  (Read 1962 times)

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
mediocre GPA/rank but on law review
« on: July 16, 2007, 11:10:18 AM »
If i have a mediocre GPA and rank (just outside of the top third) but i'm in at law review, what do my job prospects look like if i'm applying for biglaw?  i know a lot of these firms prefer law review/journal but they also want a high GPA/rank.  Is anyone in the same situation or know of anyone with a similar problem? 

testing testing 1 2 3

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: mediocre GPA/rank but on law review
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 11:40:30 AM »
i have opposite prob- gpa/rank is fine, but no journal :(

YeShallBeGods

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 12:21:01 PM »
If i have a mediocre GPA and rank (just outside of the top third) but i'm in at law review, what do my job prospects look like if i'm applying for biglaw?  i know a lot of these firms prefer law review/journal but they also want a high GPA/rank.  Is anyone in the same situation or know of anyone with a similar problem? 

Entirely depends upon your school. Law review at Harvard (or any of the top 10) will save almost any set of grades... at Cooley, not so much ;)

pappy13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 12:31:48 PM »

Entirely depends upon your school. Law review at Harvard (or any of the top 10) will save almost any set of grades... at Cooley, not so much ;)

You can graduate dead last in your class at Harvard and still be employable. 

Gwar301

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 12:32:50 PM »
I know some On Campus Interviewing places will waive class rank requirements for law review (in some cases, moot court also). I think if you're at a T1 big law would definitely still be a possibility.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 04:44:40 PM »
T25 school?
testing testing 1 2 3

dandlewood

• AOL Instant Messenger - bmojob
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 04:56:54 PM »
I may get flamed for this, but...whatever.  Biglaw jobs are just like any other job.  They aren't run by massive titans looking down at you from high vantage points and they aren't run by a secret society that has checklists or balance scales which determine your fate. 

There are certain things which help (GPA, law review, moot court), but a lot of it has to do with how you interview and your actual ability.  Apply to for the jobs you want, do the best you can and don't look back.

The answers that you get here aren't indicative of the reality of the world, but only of the numbers and statistics that have either been recorded or made up. (did you know 34% of all statistics are made up?)

In the words of Harry Belafonte, "don't worry, be happy."
Made: St Thomas, Florida Coastal
Kiss of Death:Miami, American, Rutgers, Villanova
Paying back the Loan Shark:
Pending: Nova, Widener, Temple, Florida State, Howard, Drexel, Dusquesne, Penn State

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 05:08:29 PM »
Anbudom, I know what school you're at.  If indeed you did make law review, congrats.  You will be very competitive at all firms save like the V10 or so.  So, be discrete for OCI - don't feel compelled to drop a resume for every firm.  You'll end up with more interviews than you can handle.  You'll be fine with those grades and law review.

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 05:18:20 PM »
I may get flamed for this, but...whatever.  Biglaw jobs are just like any other job.  They aren't run by massive titans looking down at you from high vantage points and they aren't run by a secret society that has checklists or balance scales which determine your fate. 

There are certain things which help (GPA, law review, moot court), but a lot of it has to do with how you interview and your actual ability.  Apply to for the jobs you want, do the best you can and don't look back.

The answers that you get here aren't indicative of the reality of the world, but only of the numbers and statistics that have either been recorded or made up. (did you know 34% of all statistics are made up?) In the words of Harry Belafonte, "don't worry, be happy."
LOL...  I heard it was more like 34% at T4 and 15% at T25
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 09:17:51 AM »
so i know it puts me at disadvatage  not being on a journal, but how much will employers look past it? and alot of them say "moot court" as a plus but we cant try to join moot court until the fall, so i cant realy put that on my resume even though i plan to do it