Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A Linux geek's law school computer set up  (Read 3790 times)

blueb73

• View Profile
Re: A Linux geek's law school computer set up
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 08:04:38 PM »
with hp soon to follow

and dont forget http://www.system76.com/  !!!

ascari_2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 08:14:53 PM »
...But tell me the last time you saw a laptop being sold that didn't come with windows pre-installed.

Last night, browsing dell.com.

Sounds like someone has anger issues.

No I don't, I just don't remember seeing a laptop for sale with no OS. Can you post a link here. I just did a quick browse through their site and the only options it gives me is the different types of Vista. No option for no OS installed. And if there is such an option, how much cheaper is it?

denk

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - music_art_pdx
    • View Profile
    • My Pre-law blog
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 02:44:14 AM »
If you search for "Dell" and "Ubuntu", you'll find a lot of info about it.  Here's one link:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

System 76 is another option.  And of course, my new MacBook Pro didn't come with Windows installed on it.   ;)

reverendlex

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 11:07:18 AM »
I used a dual boot Kubuntu/XP on a Winbook X540 my last year of law school and for the PA bar exam. For note taking, I used Kate, and papers and presentations were written using OpenOffice. Pretty much everything else you need works in Firefox- Blackboard/Westlaw/Lexis.

ExamSoft checks its environment for virtual machines, so VMware or Virtual PC won't work, which is why I had to dual-boot.

Remember that 'support' from the school means handholding. I'm sure you're bright enough to translate the setup instructions.

Now my practice sometimes requires that I have a Windows machine for testing and forensics, so I have a spare XP box just for that purpose. Most of my real work gets done on my Mac and the same Kubuntu box.

Keep on hacking. See you at Defcon?

ascari_2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 02:14:36 PM »
If you search for "Dell" and "Ubuntu", you'll find a lot of info about it.  Here's one link:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

System 76 is another option.  And of course, my new MacBook Pro didn't come with Windows installed on it.   ;)

Good find. But the main point that I wanted to make was that laptops with no OS or the "free" OS aren't much different in price compared to the Windows based laptops. So in the end, "Windows" isn't really costing you much, if anything at all.

denk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Pre-law blog
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 06:19:41 PM »

Now my practice sometimes requires that I have a Windows machine for testing and forensics...

Now that sounds cool.  What kind of practice are you doing?

I hadn't thought about going to Defcon - maybe I should go to one.

denk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Pre-law blog
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 06:27:38 PM »
...But the main point that I wanted to make was that laptops with no OS or the "free" OS aren't much different in price compared to the Windows based laptops. So in the end, "Windows" isn't really costing you much, if anything at all.

Ah.  Got you.  I believe though, that this is also not true.   :)  I think a compelling argument could be made that a Linux laptop is cheaper for many reasons, such as:

• No need to purchase virus checking software and yearly subscription.
  • No need to spend time and degrade HD by periodically defragmenting it.
  • No requirement or pressure to purchase the office suite.
  • No need to upgrade laptop past the factory-installed memory in order to use standard applications.

I'm not saying that these are conclusive, but this should show that the issue isn't so black-and-white.

ascari_2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 07:29:06 PM »
...But the main point that I wanted to make was that laptops with no OS or the "free" OS aren't much different in price compared to the Windows based laptops. So in the end, "Windows" isn't really costing you much, if anything at all.

Ah.  Got you.  I believe though, that this is also not true.   :)  I think a compelling argument could be made that a Linux laptop is cheaper for many reasons, such as:

• No need to purchase virus checking software and yearly subscription.
  • No need to spend time and degrade HD by periodically defragmenting it.
  • No requirement or pressure to purchase the office suite.
  • No need to upgrade laptop past the factory-installed memory in order to use standard applications.

I'm not saying that these are conclusive, but this should show that the issue isn't so black-and-white.

True, but if you know computers, as I'm sure you do, there's tons of free av software out there, there is openoffice, there is firefox for secure browsing, and unless you want to start playing games, most laptops today come with enough ram to boot. When was the last time you needed 2GB to run open office.

lawchick09

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 12:10:18 PM »
newly converted linux user here and i have to say that i love love LOVE my new os. it's just a shame that for the most part, law schools do not offer support for us linux users. the thorn in my side will have to  be figuring out how to tap into my schools ultra-secured WPA2 network- if ANYONE has figured that out, please HELP- i've been banging my head against a wall for WEEKS trying to get this thing to work. anyway, i plan on using openoffice for most of my notetaking and other word processing duties, firefox for internet browing, gaim for i-m, and thunderbird for my mail. other than that, there isn't much i need for law school.

oh, and i'm a linux user not to be cool but because one, i got sick of micro$oft, and two, i wanted to try something out of the norm. plus, it's great having all of this free software at my disposal that micro$oft tends to charge an arm and a leg for.

reverendlex

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 07:40:55 PM »

Now my practice sometimes requires that I have a Windows machine for testing and forensics...

Now that sounds cool.  What kind of practice are you doing?

I hadn't thought about going to Defcon - maybe I should go to one.

I work for an e-discovery vendor as a litigation consultant. Some forensics and investigation. Traditional pro bono work to feel like a 'real' lawyer.

As for hacker cons- they can be a lot of fun if you like kicking ideas around while drinking heavily. Presenting papers & talks at one will exercise your public speaking skills.