Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Incoming 1L Job FAQ's  (Read 8771 times)

TPS Report

• View Profile
Re: Incoming 1L Job FAQ's
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 04:31:52 PM »
What do applications for biglaw firms say?  I mean, on Dec. 1st no one has their grades or has even taken finals.  Do you just use your college resume and hope your school's name has enough pull?

This is when it pays to be a non-trad. ;)

Dang.

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 05:14:49 PM »
What do applications for biglaw firms say?  I mean, on Dec. 1st no one has their grades or has even taken finals.  Do you just use your college resume and hope your school's name has enough pull?

Garbage man does not impress... ;)

Anyway, I heard that some of them wait until grades come out before making a decision.  They expect follow up mailings with grades etc.

I'm a Non-trad too... Garbage collector of the month ;D.
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 05:23:25 PM »

;) :D ;D
...man, you was who you was before you got here

vaplaugh

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 11:22:16 AM »
tag

emtjp1028

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 12:29:54 PM »
Don't send out resumes until your grades have come out for the first semester.  Even if you mention that you'll follow up with the grades when they arrive, most firms will have already sent you a rejection letter....

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 07:10:13 PM »
Don't send out resumes until your grades have come out for the first semester.  Even if you mention that you'll follow up with the grades when they arrive, most firms will have already sent you a rejection letter....

Worst advice EVER.  I did this, and did not get a firm job after 1L (everything worked out though, I loved my summer job).  The only people I know who got well-paying firm jobs were those who sent out resumes in early December.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS ADVICE.

kulrythm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 11:55:57 PM »
So, how do firms differentiate between applicants who have no law school grades?  Are you supposed to apply and then send your first semester grades when you get them in January or February?  Do give you an offer without even looking at your grades?  If so, what are they looking at?  Past work experience?  Undergrad?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 07:10:55 AM »
They look at your undergrad school and gpa, your law school, your work experience.  "Soft" factors play a large role.  Some people like giving interviews to the best local school, or to their alma mater.  This gets you in the door.  I think the most important thing as a 1L is the interview.

And 1L grades to matter a lot; most firms will interview 1Ls, but then wait to see their grades before they extend an offer.

People get this order wrong, and think grades come first, then interviews, etc.  With big firms, however, by the time grades come out, all the other 1Ls who have interviewed already, and sent grades in last will already be receiving the spots available.

broken

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 09:17:18 PM »
tag

emtjp1028

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 11:38:22 AM »
Jacy, first, not everyone gets a firm job after 1L.  That's life.  Second, did the people you know who sent out resumes before their grades came in receive rejection letters prior to the arrival of their grades?