Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Incoming 1L Job FAQ's  (Read 8764 times)

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
Incoming 1L Job FAQ's
« on: July 14, 2007, 10:26:14 PM »
I am an incoming 1L.  I just wanted to post some questions for the veterans who have already gotten 1L summer jobs.  1.  When should you start sending out resumes for a 1L summer job? 
2.  What are some ideal government jobs (DOJ, City Attorney, Public Defender, US Attorney)? 
3.  Are they usually on a volunteer basis/unpaid?
4.  Is it easier to get a job with the government that private practice?
5.  Would it be advisable to also take summer classes while working?

***Any more FAQ's, just add them on***
Thanks....

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
Re: Incoming 1L Job FAQ's
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 10:34:51 PM »
Another question that popped into my head post initial post...lol...say that five times fast..Anyway, is the job search done through your school or is it done on your own?  Will the college of law have postings?  Or do I just look up online and start mailing out resumes?

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 10:56:46 PM »
1) Dec. 1st for NALP firms, varies for other types (depending on whether you want to include grades)
2) The best jobs give you the most substantive legal experience. Most that you listed would be good.
3) Most 1L's do work on a volunteer basis. Some get paid hourly; a very lucky few get 1L Biglaw gigs that pay well.
4) Government might be easier, judicial internship's are easier to come by than a big firm.
5) It depends on whether you have time, but yes. If you can get some hours knocked out without hindering your work schedule.
6) You do both. Career services, personal research and networking. You can try lawcrossing and sites like NALP directory and Martindale. Mass-mailing increases your chances. I mailed 86 to land two 6-week gigs.

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 02:25:06 AM »
very cool..thank you for the advice...

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 03:32:52 PM »
Finding the mailing addresses for county and circuit court judges has proven a more difficult task than i once thought.  I have found the address to the main court house but thats about it; does each judge have a different mailing adress?  Or can I address all the envelopes to the main court address with just attention to the each specific judge on each different envelope.  I have also found some email addresses, but i would think that would be to informal - plus I am sure their assistants read the emails anyway. 

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 03:33:52 PM »
Also, what would a typical letter to a potential employer/judge entail?  Any format that tends to be the norm?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 03:56:32 PM »
Finding the mailing addresses for county and circuit court judges has proven a more difficult task than i once thought.  I have found the address to the main court house but thats about it; does each judge have a different mailing adress?  Or can I address all the envelopes to the main court address with just attention to the each specific judge on each different envelope.  I have also found some email addresses, but i would think that would be to informal - plus I am sure their assistants read the emails anyway. 

Why are you looking for addresses to judges now?  Many don't hire 1L interns until spring.  BigLaw is really the only employer you should be looking for addresses now, since they're the only resumes you need to get out the door on Dec. 1 to have a shot.

I'm not sure about sending things to the main courthouse.  You should probably wait on this and ask career services once you start school.  They probably have a list of local and state judges already put together.

TPS Report

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 03:58:33 PM »
What do applications for biglaw firms say?  I mean, on Dec. 1st no one has their grades or has even taken finals.  Do you just use your college resume and hope your school's name has enough pull?

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 04:06:49 PM »
I had the same thought.  I wasn't making a list of judges and addresses, I was just browsing the website.  Not sure if this is odd, but I think I would rather clerk or volunteer in a judicial manner than work in a private practice.  That being said, what is an efficient way to research law firms (esp. big law firms) in your desired area.  Any specific websites?

scarlett

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 04:07:12 PM »
What do applications for biglaw firms say?  I mean, on Dec. 1st no one has their grades or has even taken finals.  Do you just use your college resume and hope your school's name has enough pull?

This is when it pays to be a non-trad. ;)