Law School Discussion

Incoming 1L Job FAQ's

Re: Incoming 1L Job FAQ's
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 08:40:59 AM »
I forgot to mention.  I'm not talking about small city firm jobs.  Of course, local firms may look at local students resumes without grades and wait for them to arrive.  Try sending out resumes without grades to a big market and see what kind of response you'd get!

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 04:58:22 PM »
Jacy, first, not everyone gets a firm job after 1L.  That's life.  Second, did the people you know who sent out resumes before their grades came in receive rejection letters prior to the arrival of their grades?

I never once suggested that everyone does get a firm job after 1L, and if you think I did, then you are reading things into my post that aren't there.

Furthermore, my comment (that your advice was crap) was directed toward looking for a firm job because that is the direction the thread went.

GA-fan

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 08:39:28 AM »
Don't send out resumes until your grades have come out for the first semester.  Even if you mention that you'll follow up with the grades when they arrive, most firms will have already sent you a rejection letter....

This is awful advice. By the time you get grades at the end of january, most of the biglaw jobs will be GONE. You can interviews without grades.

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 09:04:50 AM »
Don't send out resumes until your grades have come out for the first semester.  Even if you mention that you'll follow up with the grades when they arrive, most firms will have already sent you a rejection letter....

EXCELLENT advice. 99% of firms just tell you to reapply when grades come out. What's differentiating you from everyone else applying in December? Basically, you have a resume that says 'Expected JD Class of 20XX'

I got a big law job in Washington, DC by applying after grades came out and most of my friends did, too. The people who did send out resumes in December occasionally got an offer, but very few, if any, to big law.

Take it from someone who got a big law job 1L summer: Just wait, apply in Feb. and let your grades speak for themselves.