Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many OL's are excited to start school?  (Read 3977 times)

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How many OL's are excited to start school?
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 10:24:41 AM »
I disagree with many of the posters on this thread.  I'm a 3L now and I really enjoyed 1L (even Civ Pro). 

1L is difficult.  The worst part of it is dealing with the uncertainty/insecurity that flows from a new type of education unlike any program that you've previously experienced and the stress of having only one exam determine your grade.

Legal Research/Writing is a pain, but even that can be interesting.

You will spend a lot of time studying (probably more than you ever have) and some days near the end of the semester will be irritating as the professor continues to hide the ball as the exam nears, but it is not that bad.

I studied for a few hours every day, went to the gym nearly every day and went out drinking or some other free time one night every week (except during finals).

Law School can be very managable and even fun.

The single best advice I can give is to treat it like a job rather than school.  You will read other posts throughout this board giving the same advice.  I believe it is the best thing you can do to increase the odds of a successful 1L year.

Recognize that it will be difficult, but don't be intimidated.

Jen2bJD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 08:56:01 PM »
I'm excited! I don't feel like it is in a blind, stars-in-my-eyes kind of way either. I get that LS is very hard, but think of all the people who have come before us and gotten through law school too.  I think it is doable. :)

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 09:51:33 PM »
You will all regret it after starting around Thanksgiving, thats when the anxiety, insomnia, and depression set in.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 11:18:08 AM »
I am a OL who is not looking forward to law school. I am looking forward to working and making money again in 3 years once this whole experience is over. I hate the idea of not working, I hate the debt and I hate the idea of being surrounded by 22 year olds. But I want to be a lawyer and I am excited about that. 
Vanderbilt 2010

hoping 1L isnt Hell

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 04:57:18 PM »
I am very ready for school.  I quit my first job and took a paralegal job the two years before starting and now more than ever, I am ready to start practicing myself. 

I have help write appelant briefs, seen Civ Pro in action, and seem to have a basic understanding of legal concepts.  I want to learn more.  Other than reading some E & E books, school is where I can do it.

I also love the fact that all of my 2L and 3L friends tell me how hard it will be, how much I will hate it, etc.  That makes me want to almost prove them wrong.

Yes, I am sure this thought wont stay with me long, but its a long journey and I am ready to start it.

Good luck to all 1Ls, 2Ls, 3Ls and anyone studying for the Bar.

littlelisalaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 06:55:39 PM »
You will all regret it after starting around Thanksgiving, thats when the anxiety, insomnia, and depression set in.

LOL.  I guess for those of us old folks who already have insomnia, this is nothing new.  ;)

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 07:26:02 PM »
Im ready and excited

And scared at the same time

Scared i wont understand

Im lazy, but i can get over that as long as i understand the material being put in my face. I can study all day til im blue in the face doing notes, outlines, and reading, so long as i understand the material

Thats what really scares me

Im scared i wont even get to enjoy thanksgiving break in New Orleans either. But if i cant, oh well

jd06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 07:36:01 PM »
Im ready and excited

Scared i wont understand

Im lazy, but i can get over that as long as i understand the material being put in my face. I can study all day til im blue in the face doing notes, outlines, and reading, so long as i understand the material

Im scared i wont even get to enjoy thanksgiving break in New Orleans either. But if i cant, oh well

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised Sparkz.  Most of the material, quite frankly, isn't that difficult to understand because it's borne out of hundreds of years of real world conflict.  You'll "get it."  The difficult part is learning to manage the sheer volume of information that you'll need to stuff into your brain.   

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 07:50:14 PM »
Im ready and excited

Scared i wont understand

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised Sparkz.  Most of the material, quite frankly, isn't that difficult to understand because it's borne out of hundreds of years of real world conflict.  You'll "get it."  The difficult part is learning to manage the sheer volume of information that you'll need to stuff into your brain.   

I see. Thats more at ease for me then

But yes, all that info and stuffing it scares me, but as long as i understand it, i just gotta keep upo throughout the semester for that final exam at the end.

Eva Destruction

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2007, 09:45:41 AM »
I am very excited. 

And like everyone else, I'm a little scared.  It's a big commitment. It's going to be difficult. And I think we are all wondering if it'll be worth it and if we'll succeed.

Once we get started with our classes I think I'll be excited and overwhelmed.

When exams are close, I'll be excited and scared again.

After 1st semester grades, I think it'll be a little easier. At least I'll have been through it once.
Hermione Granger is a gunner.