Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many OL's are excited to start school?  (Read 4036 times)

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How many OL's are excited to start school?
« on: July 14, 2007, 06:06:09 PM »
I honestly can't wait.  :D For the first time in my life, I'm going to be learning about what really interests and excites me, and only that.  Although political science was fairly interesting in college, the law based political science classes were fairly rare at my school, and the non-law ones I found to be pretty boring.  I know it's going to be hard but I honestly don't care. I'm not gonna waste my life doing something easy and not challenging that anyone could do, I want to challenge myself and do something that will take a lot of effort. I'm almost counting down the days before I start.  ;D

TPS Report

• View Profile
Re: How many OL's are excited to start school?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 06:16:11 PM »
The days are creeping by so slowly!

bobbykurva

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 06:23:02 PM »
Enjoy the time for as long as you can - being a 1L, although interesting, is by no means enjoyable.

tortfeasor111

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 08:53:42 PM »
Enjoy the time for as long as you can - being a 1L, although interesting, is by no means enjoyable.

TITCR

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 10:58:17 AM »
For me, scared and excited are in a neck-and-neck race. The photo finish may have excited win by a nose, but right now it's pretty hard to call.
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 05:48:27 PM »
I'd like to see how excited you are about school around November. Or in April. Keep us updated.

It's kinds sad to see the light and hope crushed out of law students eyes when the reality of law school hits. This happened to those around me in November. By April people were talking about dropping out and crying left and right, and popping pills to stay up and study.

My advice is to know why you are in law school and what life goals you have set for yourself and look to those when you are feeling down. I saw a few people just give up around March and I think that was the saddest thing I witnessed during 1L.

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 06:00:06 PM »
I'd like to see how excited you are about school around November. Or in April. Keep us updated.

It's kinds sad to see the light and hope crushed out of law students eyes when the reality of law school hits. This happened to those around me in November. By April people were talking about dropping out and crying left and right, and popping pills to stay up and study.

My advice is to know why you are in law school and what life goals you have set for yourself and look to those when you are feeling down. I saw a few people just give up around March and I think that was the saddest thing I witnessed during 1L.

what exactly makes people want to cry and drop out about it? I can't seem to understand .

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 06:02:49 PM »
Not having a social life. Never feeling like your are "ahead" in school {there's always something else to do}, burning out in general. In my 2nd semester we had a crazy professor no one could understand who basically tortured students mentally when they were on call. We also had a professor that assigned 160 pgs of reading a week. And then we had a two week take home exam in the midst of all this. People just wanted to give up out of sheer exhaustion. It can be depressing if you don't set aside time to be a normal person instead of a law student.

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 08:11:39 PM »
Not having a social life. Never feeling like your are "ahead" in school {there's always something else to do}, burning out in general. In my 2nd semester we had a crazy professor no one could understand who basically tortured students mentally when they were on call. We also had a professor that assigned 160 pgs of reading a week. And then we had a two week take home exam in the midst of all this. People just wanted to give up out of sheer exhaustion. It can be depressing if you don't set aside time to be a normal person instead of a law student.

yea, but doesn't knowing that 1L is the worst, and once you get through that it isn't the same enough movitation to just get through it? Everyone I have spoken to told me 1L is the worst, and after that it gets a lot better.  I'm also hoping that regular gym visits, and occasional bar nights will help me keep balanced.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 08:59:32 PM »
Yea, until you talk to the 2L's that say that the "everything gets better" is a lie. You know how to handle the workload better, but things do not ease up. And by April it doesn't matter what people say...it gets hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.