Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cover letters for OCI  (Read 8446 times)

rutherford

• View Profile
Re: Cover letters for OCI
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 01:04:39 PM »
Ok, so we have Cover letter etiquette covered. What about number of iterations? How much are you changing your cover letter per employer?

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 01:43:28 PM »
I never said to submit the cover letter if the option wasn't there.  I said that at our school, if the employer doesn't want them, the option won't be there on symplicity.

I try to cater mine to each firm.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 01:47:08 PM »
Pretend like that is the only firm in the world and if you don't get a SA spot with them its game over and then write accordingly.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 01:47:45 PM »
1LMan,

Well I'm surely going to attempt to cater to each firm too; however, I've got close to 40 bids for my campus program and another 20 for a Regional program. Then add on the firms that I will be direct mailing. That's a hell of a lot of catering.

I guess I'll just have to see. I imagine it won't take to much time if I just pull up each firms website as I'm going through and jot down a couple of things that look interesting.

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 02:02:21 PM »
For most cover letters, I make about 1/3-1/2 of the material employer-specific for employers from the same city, and also have a separate "I love your city for X reasons" paragraph for each city.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 07:53:57 AM »
Yes, we get 35 bids, however, you get what you put into the process, out of it.  If you have law review grades, I would say not to sweat the cover letters.  However, if you don't, then you want every possibility to stand out as possible.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 08:48:54 AM »
I'm putting a lot of effort into some of the letters; however, seeing as I'm targeting firms with a specific type of practice, I have a decent amount of overlap.

As for standing out, I was under the impression that if you don't have the grades, they will never make it to your cover letter. Has anyone else heard this?

GGI

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 01:07:03 PM »
If it can be helpful, have also a look at the following website: www.chelseapublishing.com. Chelsea Publishing has published a book called Soft Skills for Lawyers which is proving very popular among law students and new attorneys. It aims to bridge the gap between law schools and law firms as far as attorney's behaviour is concerned.