Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cover letters for OCI  (Read 8022 times)

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Cover letters for OCI
« on: July 14, 2007, 10:28:47 AM »
We submit our resumes for OCI through a computer system.  Most employers request just a resume and grade report.  Assuming I don't have any special reason for a cover letter, should I attach one anyway?  The career services people say no, but some students have mentioned that they include cover letters anyway.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cover letters for OCI
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 11:41:01 AM »
If they don't request a cover letter then they don't want to read one.

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 01:00:15 PM »

I think this is true--unless you have something extra-special to say, I definitely wouldn't bother.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 01:07:31 PM »

I think this is true--unless you have something extra-special to say, I definitely wouldn't bother.

Our CDO said to always submit a cover letter unless the firm specifically states that it does not want one.  A cover letter is your chance to shine, don't miss it.  Especially if your numbers and resume don't speak for themselves.

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 01:45:53 PM »
Do not submit a cover letter unless they want one or unless you have something tremendously important to say (such as being mentally retarded: "Hi, I am applying to work at your firm because your firm pays a lot and I heard I can get away with not doing any work.  By the way, did you know I am mentally retarded?")
Put yourself in the shoes of the recruiting manager, do you want to read yet another cover letter? 
Yale Law School - Class of 09

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 02:20:07 PM »
Do not submit a cover letter unless they want one or unless you have something tremendously important to say (such as being mentally retarded: "Hi, I am applying to work at your firm because your firm pays a lot and I heard I can get away with not doing any work.  By the way, did you know I am mentally retarded?")
Put yourself in the shoes of the recruiting manager, do you want to read yet another cover letter? 

You are an idiot.  Talk to your CDO.  At our school, if an employer specifically does not want one, they make it so one cannot be submitted.  However, if the option is there, you should always write a personal cover letter.  It is your chance to show off what your resume and transcripts cannot, as well as to state why you are interested in their firm.

I've NEVER heard of just blindly sending resumes and transcripts.  Maybe that works for law review folks, but the rest of the world needs to stand apart somehow.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 03:05:37 PM »
if you're applying to firms via Symplicity, you wouldn't even be able to attach a cover letter to your application.  If you're applying to firms through job fairs, I was told that you should only hand in what a firm asks for.  I was instructed by my OCP NOT to send in cover letters if they didn't ask for one...

if you're applying to firms on your own, cover letter is a must of course. 

hope this helps and good luck with the job stuff...
testing testing 1 2 3

lah05

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 07:59:15 PM »
My school has a spot for cover letters in Symplicity.  I think that including a cover letter with a resume is the norm, so I would have to agree that unless you are explicitly instructed otherwise, include one.  Cover letters give you the chance to elaborate on topics touched on in your resume and to potentially discuss personal qualities and/or skills that your resume doesn't address.  Plus, it's better to put in a bit of extra effort than to appear lazy or indifferent.     
Attending:  Indiana University-Bloomington
Go Hoosiers!

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 10:20:44 PM »
I can also submit cover letters on symplicity.

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 12:10:55 PM »
I can only submit cover letters through symplicity if the employer asks for it.  I'm not going to mail a cover letter separate from the rest of my application if the employer doesn't ask for it in the first place.