Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Correlation between legal writing grades and making Law Review  (Read 1134 times)

CU1989

• View Profile
Did most students on LR receive A's in research and writing?  The grading in my R&W class seemed somewhat arbitrary, and I know several people on my school's LR that received B's in R&W.   Any B R&W students who also made their law review out there??

R&W class has been a sort of chip on my shoulder.  I received a 3.46 gpa for the year, but had a 3.6 in the subtantive courses.  The two B's in research and writing killed my GPA. 

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Correlation between legal writing grades and making Law Review
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 12:17:29 AM »
Did most students on LR receive A's in research and writing?  The grading in my R&W class seemed somewhat arbitrary, and I know several people on my school's LR that received B's in R&W.   Any B R&W students who also made their law review out there??

R&W class has been a sort of chip on my shoulder.  I received a 3.46 gpa for the semester, but had a 3.6 in the subtantive courses.  The two B's in research and writing killed my GPA. 

My legal writing grades were as follows:  A-, B, and B- .  I made LR via the write-on competition.  So you're right:  the grading process is nothing but arbitrary.

CU1989

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 12:27:23 AM »
Thank you for your comment. I am still waiting to hear back from the casenote competition.   When did you hear back from your LR competition?

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 12:33:43 AM »
Thank you for your comment. I am still waiting to hear back from the casenote competition.   When did you hear back from your LR competition?

You're welcome.  I found out exactly 4 weeks after I submitted my note; they called me up on a Sunday afternoon (that was in late July 2006).  I know it's hard, but try not to stress out over it.  Trust me, I did and it was all for naught because I made it. 

If you make it, enjoy the high while you can, because the first year of LR is ARDUOUS, thanks to the comment requirement (everyone has to write a paper of publishable quality during his/her first year on Journal).

Hope you make it!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 07:37:14 AM »
I know someone whose lowest grade was in LRW, and then wrote onto journal.  I'd think the only correlation btwn LRW and LR is that SOME people who get As are just really good writers and can write anything, and they may be more likely to write on.  Obviously not all good writers get As in LRW though, for whatever reason (bad teacher w/ arbitrary grading, the curve had to push someone down, etc.)

And I agree w/ the above poster - try not to worry about the LR decision. Your worrying won't change the outcome at this point, so you should try to relax.  And if you do make it, definitely enjoy the glory while it lasts, b/c learning to cite check and writing your comment SUCK.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 11:48:59 AM »
LRW classes focus on professional writing.  You do memos and briefs.  LR write-on competitions are focused on academic writing, which is a slightly different animal.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 05:46:31 PM »
I want to meet the person who first came up with cite checking, and punch them in the face.

I know someone whose lowest grade was in LRW, and then wrote onto journal.  I'd think the only correlation btwn LRW and LR is that SOME people who get As are just really good writers and can write anything, and they may be more likely to write on.  Obviously not all good writers get As in LRW though, for whatever reason (bad teacher w/ arbitrary grading, the curve had to push someone down, etc.)

And I agree w/ the above poster - try not to worry about the LR decision. Your worrying won't change the outcome at this point, so you should try to relax.  And if you do make it, definitely enjoy the glory while it lasts, b/c learning to cite check and writing your comment SUCK.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 06:49:42 PM »
I want to meet the person who first came up with cite checking, and punch them in the face.

Amen to that, Budlaw!   :D

anna13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 10:10:25 AM »
My school requires four semesters of legal writing. My grades: A, A, A-, A. I did the write-on competition last year and got REJECTED.  :P

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 11:19:38 AM »
I got a B in LRW and made law review.  I was top 10% though