Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class of 2010?  (Read 16848 times)

leostrauss

• Sr. Citizen
  • The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
Re: Class of 2010?
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 11:23:43 AM »
Hey leo.  Go to www.nalpdirectory.com to get information about all the firms.  Info is free, but if you want to do a mail merge (download all contact info for all your selected firms) you pay for it.

I can't wait till our schedules come out next Friday!!!  I just want to know, to plan my life for the next 6 months, buy books, etc.

Many thanks. Were you at the Admitted Students thing? If so, which mock class were you in? I can't stand waiting this long for my schedule! How am I supposed to read everything these profs ever wrote in less than a month??? just playing
…no bloody or unbloody change of society can eradicate the evil in man: as long as there will be men, there will be malice, envy and hatred, and hence there cannot be a society which does not have to employ coercive restraint.

– Leo Strauss, The City and Man, page 5

The Village Idiot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 11:36:14 AM »
Extremely excited and even more scared 0L here. Where can I get information about general schedule for mailing out these letters Felsen mentioned. I'd like to have an idea how OCI works before I get there. Good luck to everyone -- L. Strauss

I feel ya on this one.  Feels something like this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ljtuGoIIKGs

Nah, not really.  But the words are right.
Hook'em  '10

leostrauss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 11:40:05 AM »
Well, I get excited because I'm shocked that I was able to get into UT. I wanted it really badly, but it didn't seem likely. But then I realize, "Wait, the reason it was so hard for you to get in is because all these others jokers are geniuses! You're screwed." About this time in my mental convo. the fear settles in. In the end, I'm still just very happy to be where I am right now, and I'm trying to prepare myself for what will undoubtedly be the hardest and hopefully most rewarding three years of my life so far.
…no bloody or unbloody change of society can eradicate the evil in man: as long as there will be men, there will be malice, envy and hatred, and hence there cannot be a society which does not have to employ coercive restraint.

terpsichore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 05:14:48 AM »
thought i'd chime in and say welcome :)

i'll be graduating in 2010 but i was a 1L last year.

leostrauss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 10:11:50 AM »

Many thanks. Were you at the Admitted Students thing? If so, which mock class were you in?

Anytime! I was in Kadens' class (contracts), what about you?

Me too. I think I know who you were. There was a girl (I don't know if you're a girl, but I'm goin on a hunch) bechind me who seemed like her name might be sladkaya (or at least it would have fit). Anyway, we'll see. If it was you, then you seemed to be on the ball in that class. I was impressed. cheers - L. Strauss

leostrauss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 10:12:49 AM »
thought i'd chime in and say welcome :)

i'll be graduating in 2010 but i was a 1L last year.

Thanks. Very excited. Good luck with the 2L year.  L.- Strauss

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 10:28:12 PM »
I can't really think of anything specific that you won't just pick up.  One thing that you'll pick up on is practice exams.

Teachers can post practice tests from prior years with the school's test bank.  Most of these are available on-line, and others are available in bound books in the library.  I believe they tell you this during library orientation.  Only additional advice is to remember that if you pick the 99-00 school year or earlier (I think that's the right year), the Fall test will cover only half the semester and the Spring test will cover the other half.  So if you start doing practice tests early (say October) pick Fall semester of an old exam, and you should know most of the exam.  The only exception is Con Law I.  This is because back before 2000, you had all of your first year classes the entire year long.  They switched them to be just a semester long.

You can rent a locker in the law school.  There are either keyed lockers or combination lockers (you provide combo lock).  I prefer keyed, as I always have my keys with me.  Keyed ones are supposedly slightly bigger as well.

I actually tend to study by my locker.  I got one in the basement, so it only gets traffic between classes.

When I've been in the library, the 4th floor is really quiet, and not too frequented.  5th floor has the open computers and the printers, so it gets more traffic and is thus noisier.  I've not gone up to the 6th too often.

In case you don't know, you cannot do Moot Court or Mock Trial your first year.  You can witness and bailiff to help others out, but you cannot compete.  In the second semester there will be a 1L moot court competition.  It is open to all 1Ls, thought it really helps if you take the elective class that prepares you for it (Brief Writing & Oral Advocacy).  This past year there was also a 1L Mock Trial.  It was strictly limited to only 1Ls who were taking a specific trial preparation class (had about 20 slots).

That's some basics that you might not have picked up on yet.

Drew P. Bottom

• Sr. Citizen
  • You do not understand the power of the dark side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 12:54:04 PM »
2 things:

1 - How do we know what books to buy before school starts? Will that info be included with our schedule?

and

2- Does the law school technology support Windows Vista?
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -- James Madison

bpfreedland

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 04:17:50 PM »
hey all-

just checking in.  one note about vista, a lot of people are waiting for an updated version... if you want to read a horror story, check out james fallows' (from the atlantic) blog.  he's a pretty tech savvy guy and vista is destroying his new laptop.

-ben

leostrauss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 04:55:02 PM »
Man, this is freaking me out. I just bought a thinkpad, and it came with vista. If I need to change it over to XP, then I need to figure that out fast. Freaking technology. I should just use my pen. I know how it works . . . dependably!