Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Whats the most annoying thing a 1L can do?  (Read 3220 times)

purpeng

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Whats the most annoying thing a 1L can do?
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 10:41:05 PM »
Raising your hand 4 times per class session and starting every comment with "I just want to be sure I have this right..."  (and then repeating what the professor just said).

Bringing cans of Dr. Pepper to class after you've spilled them twice and been asked not to bring them any more.

EATING IN CLASS.  Especially if you put the granola bar under the desk like nobody can hear the crinkle crinkle, when you sit in the middle of the front row.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 11:15:48 PM »
Raising your hand 4 times per class session and starting every comment with "I just want to be sure I have this right..."  (and then repeating what the professor just said).

Bringing cans of Dr. Pepper to class after you've spilled them twice and been asked not to bring them any more.

EATING IN CLASS.  Especially if you put the granola bar under the desk like nobody can hear the crinkle crinkle, when you sit in the middle of the front row.

Haha.

We had a front row guy but he was Dr. Pepper bottles and goldfish (the big bags) and one time he dumped the entire bag in the floor at the prof.'s feet.

purpeng

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2007, 11:19:41 PM »
This guy wasn't usually front row, but he was in the Dr. Pepper class.  :)

nfire1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 10:43:51 AM »
yes! Yes! YES!  That idea about raising my hand in the middle of somebody else's sentence is GOLD.  If I'm seated closely enough to the person I can sigh heavily and throw in a 'roll eyes' in with it.
DU '10

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 11:11:44 AM »
  • Being an uber-gunner.  Gunners go after fellow students.  The uber-gunner goes after the professor themselves.  You know this is happening when the uber-gunner changes or otherwise refuses to accept the hypo the professor presented.
  • Being a feelings gunner.  This is the person who feels obligated to give their personal opinion on the fairness of every outcome of every case or policy presented in class.
  • Being totally oblivious to those around you while studying.  This includes playing iPods so loud, songs can clearly be heard through your headphones, and eating noisy cruchy food.  It's better to eat a pizza in the library than potato chips.
  • Being the "out-of-class gunner."  This is the person who cannot talk about anything but legal topics, although might occasionally venture into political debate.
  • Talking about how much you study, the progress of your outline, post-mortem on exams, the job search, or grades.  It's not necessarily bad, just make real sure the person you're talking with wants to talk about these topics.
  • Trying to forcefully create a mentor out of a 2L or 3L who either is known to have good grades, has a good job, or is on law review.
  • Obsessing over anything that's ungraded.  Legal writing is important, try hard, but remember what gets you paid at the end of the day: A's in graded class.
  • Sandbagging.  If someone asks you how much you study, either be honest, or say you don't discuss it.  Don't say "Oh I don't study much" if you actually work 12 hours a day.

That's about all I can think of for right now.

scarlett

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2007, 11:18:30 AM »
  • Being an uber-gunner.  Gunners go after fellow students.  The uber-gunner goes after the professor themselves.  You know this is happening when the uber-gunner changes or otherwise refuses to accept the hypo the professor presented.
  • Being a feelings gunner.  This is the person who feels obligated to give their personal opinion on the fairness of every outcome of every case or policy presented in class.
  • Being totally oblivious to those around you while studying.  This includes playing iPods so loud, songs can clearly be heard through your headphones, and eating noisy cruchy food.  It's better to eat a pizza in the library than potato chips.
  • Being the "out-of-class gunner."  This is the person who cannot talk about anything but legal topics, although might occasionally venture into political debate.
  • Talking about how much you study, the progress of your outline, post-mortem on exams, the job search, or grades.  It's not necessarily bad, just make real sure the person you're talking with wants to talk about these topics.
  • Trying to forcefully create a mentor out of a 2L or 3L who either is known to have good grades, has a good job, or is on law review.
  • Obsessing over anything that's ungraded.  Legal writing is important, try hard, but remember what gets you paid at the end of the day: A's in graded class.
  • Sandbagging.  If someone asks you how much you study, either be honest, or say you don't discuss it.  Don't say "Oh I don't study much" if you actually work 12 hours a day.

That's about all I can think of for right now.

Solid gold!

How about the student who feels obligated to send out PSAs to the *entire* email list?  You know, on the order of "_____ happened and here's what I have to say about it..."  Michigan hasn't had too much of that (probably a lingering effect of the Tex debacle), but I hear that most schools have at least one guy who just can't keep his brilliant opinions to himself.

pappy13

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2007, 11:54:23 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out why so many people are annoyed by roll bags.  I have one because I refuse to hurt my back; attempting to carry all of your law-school books on your back is quite stupid, if you ask me. 

Yes, I know that most law students have lockers, but if you work full time, you need to have all of your books at home, meaning you have to lug all of them to class every time you go.  Unfortunately, I don't have the "luxury" of being around the hallowed law-school halls all day long, where if I want to study a different subject, all I have to do is pay a visit to my locker.

Are you full time or part time? If you work full time I think it's safe to assume that you go to school part time. 

As a part time student, do you have 4 or 5 classes per semester? I would think 4, but maybe 5 including a writing class or some sort. 

Do you have all these classes in one day?  If the answer is yes, I can understand why you would carry all your books at once, but I believe the answer to this question is no. 

If you're going to school on a day when you have say crim and torts...what good are your civil procedure and contract text books? 

The rollie-bag is indicative of weakness and/or old-ness.  Both qualities are frowned upon in law school. 

pappy13

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2007, 11:56:14 AM »

And spilling that Dr. Pepper and NOT cleaning it up.  We're you raised in a barn?  I witnessed such a transgression.

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2007, 11:58:13 AM »
Most annoying thing you can do is to be the one with spring-loaded hand that keeps shooting up in midair and ask retarded questions aka being a gunner.  
Yale Law School - Class of 09

pappy13

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2007, 12:03:44 PM »
Also whispering the answers or "no, no, no" to yourself  when someone is bombing being called on.

Being a gunner that incessantly and vigorously types all class long. Either get a silent stenograph or use a recorder.

Yes this is sort of the Belmont Stakes in the triple crown of being as annoying as possible.  I have the great honor of taking a night time summer class with alot of non-traditional 1L's.  My classroom neighbor may be the worst ever.